On the first stop on their second road trip this year, the Brandeis women’s basketball team fell to Emory in another University Athletics Association (UAA) matchup. Before the road trip, the Judges had been eager for their first win in this season’s conference games. They took another loss at Emory. Meanwhile, the Eagles extended their winning streak to five with the win over the Judges, now with records of 5–1 UAA, 11–4 overall.  

The Eagles established an early lead in the first half with a 13–5 run in the first quarter, and did not look back since. Outside of the 11 points from Kerry Tanke 22’ and a game-high, career-high 16-point performance from captain Emma Reavis 23’, the Judges’ offense struggled against the Eagles, reflected by a 30.0% field goal percentage and an unusual 4.3% from the three-point line. Reavis 23’ also led the team with two assists, as sophomore Casey Perry 24’ worked hard and tied her career-high seven rebounds. 

The Judges adjusted at halftime and evened the third quarter 13–13, but the Eagles persisted in soaring in the fourth quarter outscoring the Judges 16–4. Turnovers troubled the Judges, helping the Eagles score 18 points off turnovers out of their 69 total. Final score Emory 69–43 Brandeis.

During their visit to the University of Rochester, the Brandeis women’s basketball team upset the University of Rochester Yellowjackets and secured their first UAA win. Before the contest, the Yellowjackets were ranked #2 in the conference and were aiming for first place as they came back and defeated UAA-leading NYU on Friday in front of the home crowd. Yet, the Brandeis University Judges, visiting Rochester with a six-game losing streak, handed the Yellowjackets their third conference loss and now have a 1-6 UAA record, 6-10 overall.  

The Judges started the game with an intense defense which forced some early turnovers from the Yellowjackets. At 4:44, captain Camila Casanueva 22’ went on a roll, featuring her signature stepback jump shot and a tough and-one layup. The Yellowjackets answered with their free throws, but senior center Kerry Tanke 22’ responded at the line as well, closing out the quarter with a 13–12 lead.

The Yellowjackets attempted to stand their ground in the second quarter by implementing an aggressive denial defense. The adjustment resulted in some turnovers from the Judges and  some easy points off fastbreaks for the Yellowjackets. From 9:28, Rochester went on an 8–0 run until freshman Caitlin Gresko 25’ interfered with a layup off an inbound play at 4:07. Casanueva 22’ joined the party with her first three-point shot of the weekend to take back the lead, 21–20. Both teams traded buckets for the rest of the quarter and entered halftime. Judges 28-30 Yellowjackets.

Moving onto the second half, the Judges stayed aggressive and moved the ball around with caution. Captain Emma Reavis 23’ came alive and attacked the paint with ambition, cashing off some points off the free throw line for Brandeis. With around 5:00min left in the quarter, both teams entered a scoring drought which was eventually ended by a Mollie Obar 25’ three after the Judges’ timeout. Brandeis’ defensive effort forced awkward shots off the Yellowjackets, and junior Francesca Marchese 23' put the Judges back on top at the end of the quarter with her three-point bomb, 46–44. 

The Yellowjackets continued to struggle from downtown in the fourth quarter. They fired 20 from distance the whole game but only made one against the Judges. The Judges remained patient as high pick-and-roll actions between Casanueva 22’ and sophomore Casey Perry 24’ confused the Rochester defense and generated easy baskets. The Yellowjackets hustled and responded with an 8–0 run, but Casanueva 22’ eventually shut the door with a tough three of her own. The Judges survived the free-throw battle in the end and came away with a 66–59 win. 

Casanueva 22’ bounced back strong and led the game with 21 points, eight rebounds, and three assists. Tanke 22’ contributed 13 points and game-high two steals. Meanwhile, Perry 24’ collected five rebounds off the bench. The Judges secured their first conference win of the season, now with records of 1–6 UAA, 6–10 overall. 

After the big win, the Judges will be back in action this Friday and begin their UAA homestand, hosting the Emory Eagles. They look forward to building on the momentum and improving their record at the Auerbach Arena.