The Boston Celtics trotted out of American Airlines Arena in Miami during Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals last June with an uncertain fate.

Boston had two chances to cement the legacy of a dynasty. Instead, the squad was ousted in seven games by the Miami Heat, and in that flight back to Boston, the specter of a rebuilding job hung in the air.

The Celtics brain trust ultimately convinced power forward Kevin Garnett to spend the duration of his career at TD Garden, signing him to a three-year extension. Boston utilized its first-round picks in the draft to select Ohio State University power forward Jared Sullinger and Syracuse University center Fab Melo.

The most significant transaction of the offseason, however, proved to be a departure. Shooting guard Ray Allen stunned the basketball world after signing with the Miami Heat, shedding his legacy as a hometown hero.

Celtics' General Manager Danny Ainge regrouped, though, with the acquisition of shooting guard Jason Terry from the Dallas Mavericks to fill the void left by Allen. Point guard Rajon Rondo and small forward Paul Pierce remained, and as the Celtics made their return to Miami last Tuesday for the start of the regular season, all seemed well in Boston.

If anything, though, the ghosts of June 2012 still persisted to open the 2012-13 season. Boston looked sluggish on the court, falling to a 62-54 deficit at the end of the first half. Heat forward LeBron James made a resounding dunk to end the first half on a high note. Miami, continuing to roar out of the gates in the second half, stretched its third-quarter lead to a seemingly insurmountable 93-76 advantage. Power forward Chris Bosh, point guard Mario Chalmers, small forward Rashard Lewis and Allen reeled off the final eight points in the last two minutes of the third quarter of the opener.

The Celtics would not go down easily. Boston pulled to a 111-107 deficit after a layup from guard Courtney Lee with two minutes, 19 seconds remaining. However, Bosh ensured that the comeback would end there, propelling Miami to a 120-107 win.

Pierce finished with 20 points, Rondo had his first double-double of the season with 20 points and 13 assists, while guard Leandro Barbosa scored 16 points in his Celtics debut.

Boston traveled back home for its opener against the Milwaukee Bucks last Friday; the result was not much better. Milwaukee took control from the outset of the first half, earning a 10-8 lead, and never looked back, With impressive offensive performances from Milwaukee point guard Brandon Jennings and guard Monta Ellis, the Bucks raced out to a 46-30 lead. Boston allowed the Bucks to make 46.5 percent of their shots, and while the Celtics pulled to within 48-35, Milwaukee shined on the offensive end of the court. The Bucks moved to a game-high 22-point lead with three minutes, 45 seconds remaining. Boston managed to end the game with a 99-88 loss, but even with a 15-point performance from Garnett and another double-double with Rondo, the defeat stung.

The Celtics got back on track, though, with a crucial road victory against the Washington Wizards on the road last Saturday. The Wizards clawed back and eventually gave Boston a scare in the waning moments of the game, cutting the lead to 86-84.

Terry sealed the victory for the Celtics, though, hitting two free throws with just over one second left to escape Washington, D.C. with a much-needed win.

Pierce led the squad with 27 points, including eight points in a crucial stretch in which the squad held the Wizards scoreless for nearly three minutes in the fourth quarter. Garnett had another sterling offensive performance with 15 points while Rondo contributed 12 points and 12 assists.

Boston looks to continue its momentum with a vital division matchup at the Philadelphia 76ers this Friday.