In a Sept. 10 email to the student body, Senior Vice President for Students and Enrollment Andrew Flagel announced that the University had suspended issuing event registration permits in the Charles Foster Mods for two weeks. Students will be able to obtain registration permits again on Sept. 25, according to the email.

The temporary ban is due to an unusually high number of alcohol-related incidents during the weekend of Sept. 4 through Sept. 6, according to the email.

The weekly police report emailed to the Justice on Sept. 6 reported eight calls to BEMCo due to alcohol consumption, with five intoxicated parties on Sept. 5 alone. During the second weekend of the fall semester last year, there were five calls to BEMCo for the whole weekend, according to a Sept. 7, 2014 police report emailed to the Justice.

“There is no reason to believe that this [temporary ban on permits] will stop students from drinking alcohol, nor is that our intent. We do, however, hope that our students recognize that some members of our community have failed to live up to reasonable expectations of responsibility in watching out for one another and themselves,” Flagel wrote in an email to the Justice.

According to Flagel, the ban was localized to the Mods because “the reports nearly all indicate underage students consuming dangerous levels of alcohol in the Mods.”

There were no reports of police being dispatched to attend to alcohol-related incidents in the Sept. 13 police report sent to the Justice, which was one week into the ban.

The Department of Community Living is also developing new programming about alcohol and alcohol safety as part of the University’s response to the Sept. 4 through 6 surge in drinking-related incidents. Flagel wrote to the student body in the Sept. 10 email that “information on this programming will be advertised over the course of the next two weeks. We are also collectively meeting with the Waltham Police Department and Fire Department, who understandably have expressed serious concerns about the spike in Brandeis incidents.”

Director of Community Living Tim Touchette — who was a cosignatory on the email along with Flagel, Dean of Students Jamele Adams and Director of Public Safety Ed Callahan — told the Justice in a phone interview that the Psychological Counseling Center and Brandeis Peers Educating about Responsible Choices, a student group which educates about alcohol and substance abuse, are working with DCL to develop the new programming.

“[O]bviously we’re trying to encourage students to hold each other accountable for their actions, and when a university of this size has the number of transports we had in one weekend, there’s clearly something going wrong,” Touchette said. “People are not making positive decisions for themselves in regards to alcohol. So we need to kind of scale back the liberties that we give students and evaluate.”

“We have to keep a good relationship with Waltham,” Touchette added. “We really respect the community and the partners that we work with, with Waltham Fire, Police and EMS Responders from Cataldo. If we are abusing those services by inundating them with students, then we’ve really got to take another look at what we’re doing on campus to help better our relationships and encourage our students to make better decisions.”