Three years ago, coach Brian Meehan brought in 10 first-years to revamp the men's basketball program. The group of recruits started their four-year run with an 11-game winning streak, showing the potential impact they could have on the Judges' success.

Three years later, six of the 10 remain. Guards Derek Retos '14 and Ben Bartoldus '14 became captains last year. Additionally, forward Alex Stoyle '14 and center Youri Dascy '14, along with Bartoldus and Retos, will play prominent roles for the squad. Guard Ruben Kanya '14 and forward Connor Arnold '14 also figure to provide unique sparks off the bench.

The team, however, should also feature many new faces on the court this year. Point guard Robinson Vilmont '17 is coming out of the Myra Kraft Transitional Year Program to compete with fellow point guard Colby Smith '16 for a starting spot. Forwards Kevin Trotman '16 and Ishmael Kalilou '15 will both see expanded roles as athletic and versatile wings who can play both inside and out. Guard Gabe Moton '14, last year's star transfer from Boston College, is fighting plantar fasciitis to start the current season.

Meehan still does not know what his rotation will look like this year.

"I have no idea," he said on Friday in an interview with The Justice. "We had one scrimmage; Gabe and Robinson were injured. We will probably have about 10 guys playing consistent minutes with a lot of balance. The starting lineup will be irrelevant."

The team lacks depth up front. Dascy and Stoyle started in the frontcourt last year, but backup six-foot-nine center Wouter Van der Eng '13 graduated and Alex Schmidt '14 is not playing this year. Kalilou, Arnold and Trotman may be the only options back there while forward Sam Dowden '17 recovers from an injury.

Despite the lack of depth, Meehan does not think this will hurt the team's approach.

"We're not as deep this year, but we're just going to do what we always do," he said. "That is, push the ball, press, and play a hard man-to-man defense. What we do will depend on what we're capable of doing well."

Last season, Meehan spoke about team goals of making the NCAA Division III Tournament and winning the University Athletic Association. This season, his approach has been completely different.

"Right now we're focusing on getting better every day," he said. "Everybody wants to win games, but the process as you go through the season is more important."

Last year the team came within one game of making the NCAA tournament as an at-large bid. This year, Meehan would not even talk about making the postseason. He said the postseason is decided at the end of the year and that all his team should do is focus on their current play. Making the tournament is not just about possessing talent-it is about executing and playing as a group.

The Judges' key to success this year will be the play of the seniors. Retos shot an impressive 46.8 percent from beyond the three-point arc last year. His ability to spread the floor will be key for Brandeis. Bartoldus and Moton are prolific scorers who are capable of taking over a game at any point. Moton led the team with 14.1 points per game last year and will hopefully be able to improve on that after a year of acclimating to UAA play. Bartoldus was second on the team with 10.1 points per game; his athleticism should allow him to get to the rim and put pressure on opposing defenses.

Dascy started the preseason out of shape, but should stabilize the Judges down low. If he can stay out of foul trouble, he should really help the team's defense and rebounding. Stoyle found his stroke midway through last season and will spread the floor for this athletic, drive-and-kick team.

Meehan said a few first-years will be able to carve out roles and get minutes, although he did not say whom. He did, however, say that the team has something it really hasn't had the last few years.

"We really have a bunch of guys pushing each other for [playing] time, making practice more competitive. It's something very important for good teams."

Meehan's keys to a successful season included execution and applying the lessons they learn in practice to game day. The Judges also need to play more as a team and share the ball, which will generate easy baskets. He also stated they will need to create steals and get shots in the open court, and most importantly, they need to rebound. The Judges will be undersized at times, so whoever is on the court needs to crash the boards hard.

Brandeis received two votes in the D3hoops.com preseason top 25 poll. Though this is not much, it means the team has recognition.

As far as the future looks, the team has potential for success this year. If the core of the team decides to play Meehan's way, a top 25 finish and an NCAA Division III Tournament bid aren't out of the question.