Last week, Brandeis hired Sheila McMahon to be the University's first-ever sexual assault services and prevention specialist, according to a press release from the office of communications. She will begin her work on campus Nov. 1.

"We are very pleased to bring a professional of Sheila's stature to our campus," wrote Andrew Flagel, senior vice president for students and enrollment, in his email announcement to the campus community yesterday. "She is a transformative leader for sexual assault services and prevention, not just for Brandeis, but in higher education at the national level."

McMahon will take on the full-time role to "coordinate advocacy services for survivors of sexual assault, relationship violence and stalking, conduct outreach and education to promote a healthy campus environment, and serve as a liaison to student organizations," according to the press release.

Before accepting the position at Brandeis, McMahon was involved with the Center on Violence Against Women and Children at the Rutgers University School of Social Work and Boston College's Women's Resource Center, where she was the director, according to the press release. She also worked for several years in various areas of the field of social work.

McMahon received her Bachelor of Arts degree in English and women's studies from Boston College, her Master of Divinity from Harvard University and her Master of Social Work from Rutgers University School of Social Work. She also completed training at Boston College's Carroll School of Management, and expects her Ph.D. in Social Work in May 2014, also from Rutgers.

"I'm thrilled with the decision to hire Sheila McMahon as is the search committee as a whole," wrote Director of Athletics Sheryl Sousa '90, who chaired the search committee to fill the specialist position, in an email to the Justice. "She will be a wonderful addition to the Students and Enrollment team."
McMahon was unable to be reached for comment by press time.