*

Correction appended.

University President Frederick Lawrence's total compensation for 2011 calendar year came in at $758,735, according to University tax forms. This is the first time that Lawrence's full salary has been released since he became Brandeis' eighth president in January 2011.

Lawrence received a base pay of $539,446 and $166,397 in other reportable compensation, and an estimated additional compensation of $52,892, according to the 2011 Form 990. The form also shows that his salary includes a housing and travel allowance.

University President Emeritus Jehuda Reinharz was also included on the 2011 form, making $591,253 in reportable income and $34,135 in estimated additional compensation. Reinharz made $1,536,401 in salary, benefits and other compensation in 2009, according to that year's Form 990. According to the 2010 Chronicle of Higher Education ranking, Reinharz was the 43rd-highest paid private university president in the nation and fourth in Massachusetts that year.

Reinharz was University president from 1994 to 2011. He announced his resignation in 2009 following controversy with the Rose Art Museum and remained in the position until Lawrence took over on Jan. 1, 2011.

According to Senior Vice President for Finance and Chief Financial Officer Marianne Cwalina, a portion of the listed salary is comprised of taxable benefits. No deferred compensation was paid to ReinharzCwalina declined to comment on the specifics of Reinharz's contract, however.

Reinharz is currently employed by the University as the Richard Koret Professor of Modern Jewish History and director of the Tauber Institute for the Study of European Jewry, where he is responsible for leading the institute's programs and research direction. Reinharz also works closely with Lawrence, the Board of Trustees and other senior administrators as president emeritus, Cwalina explained.

The current national trend shows university president salaries are on the rise. According to Tufts University's 2011 Form 990, former president Lawrence Bacow received about $793,715 in total compensation for that year. Bacow was replaced by Anthony Monaco in 2011, but the forms that would indicate Monaco's full salary have yet to be released.

Boston University President Robert Brown received $1,381,264 in total compensation for the 2011 calendar year, according to Boston University's 2011 Form 990. Harvard University President Drew Gilpin Faust received $875,331 in compensation that same year, according to the university's 2011 form 990.

President John Sexton of New York University, which now is ranked number 32 in the nation along with Brandeis and the College of William and Mary by U.S. News & World Report, received $1,476,625 in total compensation for 2011, according to the university's 2011 Form 990.

The Chronicle of Higher Education executive compensation rankings for 2011 have yet to be released. However, Lawrence would be placed at about 69 in the nation in comparison with other presidents' salaries on the 2010 rankings.

Senior Vice President and Chief of Staff David Bunis' reportable income was listed on the Brandeis Form 990 as $467,263, with an additional estimated compensation of $3,824.

Senior Vice President for Students and Enrollment Andrew Flagel's salary is unlisted on the Form 990. According to Cwalina, this is because he "did not receive sufficient compensation in 2011 to be considered a key employee for IRS reporting purposes," as he officially started working at Brandeis on Sept. 1, 2011.

However, Cwalina did explain that neither Flagel nor Lawrence earn additional compensation for the courses that they teach.

According to Cwalina, Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences Susan Birren and former Vice Provost for Academic Affairs Michaele Whelan are not included on the Form 990 because they report to Provost Steve Goldstein '78 and, therefore, "are not considered key employees or officers under IRS reporting guidelines."

In total, the University spent $4,414,815 on compensation of current officers, directors, trustees and key employees, according to the 2011 Form 990.

President Emeritus Jehuda Reinharz did not receive any deferred compensation during the 2011 calendar year, as the Justice was initially informed and consequently reported. A portion of his salary was therefore not deferred compensation, but rather taxable benefits.