U.S. Representative Ed Markey (D-Mass.), chairman of the House Select Committee on Energy Independence and Global Warming, will speak on campus during an environmental sustainability week next month, according to Senior Vice President for Communications Lorna Miles.The lecture will be part of EarthFest, a 10-day celebration from April 6 to 16 focused on sustainability, the effects of global climate change and environmental destruction and student-based solutions and careers in the green collar sector.

The University has also been it touch with the office of U.S. Senator and former presidential nominee John Kerry (D-Mass.) regarding his intention to speak at EarthFest, but has not confirmed Kerry's visit yet, Miles said Monday.

Markey's talk will begin an event from 4 to 6:30 p.m. in the Rapaporte Treasure Hall on April 13 that will also include a panel discussion on the profitability of the green revolution featuring Steven Strong, president and founder of Solar Design Associates, and Dr. Mark Rentschler, director of institutional greening programs for the HGO Green Seal, according to an EarthFest schedule prepared by the Department of Communications.

Markey, the third-longest serving member of Congress, also spoke on campus last April. He was responsible for introducing legislation that in 2007 changed daylight saving time to begin on the second Sunday in March and end on the first Sunday in November.

EarthFest is being organized by the Department of Communications, Students for Environmental Action and Gen Ed Now, a club formed last semester with the purpose of bringing more high-profile speakers to campus. The Physics Club, the Biology department, the International Business School, the Hiatt Career Center and the Heller School for Social Policy and Management are co-sponsoring the event, Gen Ed Now co-founders Daniel Gillman '10 and Jonah Seligman '10 said.

EarthFest will include more environmentally friendly events, such as the annual Charles River Cleanup on April 6, a day called "Focus Brandeis" April 9 for professors to devote a portion of their classes to discussing global warming, an environmental career panel April 10 and SEA's "waste-free picnic" April 15. At Hillel's Shabbat dinner Friday April 11, all dishes and materials used will be biodegradable.

SEA President Stephanie Sofer '09 said EarthFest shows that the University is placing emphasis on environmental issues.

"It's very exciting that we are doing activism things like a cleanup and also focusing on education and having major speakers come to this University to offer insight into global climate change and environmental issues, both locally and globally," she said.

In March 2007, Kerry and his wife Teresa Heinz released This Moment on Earth, a book that shows how environmental issues unite people across ideological, geographic and cultural lines through descriptions of the lives of environmental activists.

If Kerry speaks at Brandeis, Sofer said she hopes that he would offer insight into how people can start combating global climate change.

"I think it's important to take a proactive approach and really give people an insight into what the future holds in terms of environmental stewardship in the world," Sofer said.

Earlier this semester, Gen Ed Now helped organize the University's Martin Luther King, Jr. Day celebration featuring a speech by U.S. Senator Carl Levin (D-Mich.) and co-sponsored a lecture by Foundation for Individual Rights in Education founder Harvey Silverglate, Seligman said.