Loved ones of the late Bernard Herman '08 gathered to remember his life last Wednesday in a memorial service held in the Berlin Chapel. Herman, who took his own life at the age of 21 on May 12, 2007, was a native of New Orleans, a creative writing major and a senior writer for the Justice. The service was held on the second anniversary of Hurricane Katrina.

The Chapel overflowed with students, faculty and staff at 5 p.m. His mother Molly Herman and brother Adam Herman '04 sat in front.

The service included two student speakers who were Herman's friends and speeches from his brother, mother and Rabbi Allan Lehmann, the former Jewish chaplain at Brandeis, who is close to the family.

Jacob Korman '08, one of Herman's friends who spoke at the memorial, remembered Herman's innate talent for story-telling.

"At the end we always laughed, no matter how the story ended.

"But above all," he said, "Bernard was a good friend."

Elyssa Cohen '08, the second student speaker, said Herman was one of the first friends she made at Brandeis and was like no one she had ever known. Reflecting on Herman's intelligence, she said, "No matter what I say, Bernard would've said it better. He was the smartest person I've ever known."

"[Bernard was] gifted and wise beyond his years," Cohen added, with emotion in her voice.

Adam, Herman's brother, spoke next. He read some words people shared on a tribute Web site, including one that said that Herman was a "talented writer and gentle person with a powerful laugh."

He also shared his brother's two life mottos: strive to make the world a better place, and remember to laugh while doing it.

Herman's mother then read a piece her son had written as a teenager about the passage of time.

"Thank you all so much for this wonderful tribute to my son," she closed.

Lehmann ended the service with several remarks.

"Time sometimes puts things into a softer focus," he said. "Passage of time allows somehow things to be very ordinary again."

Herman's brother and sister-in-law Yanna Krupnikov '02 have established the Bernard H. Herman '08 prize in creative writing to honor his memory. The prize will be awarded annually to a junior or senior majoring in creative writing.

After the service, the students, faculty, friends and family gathered outside for refreshments and each other's company outside the Chapel.