Jonathan Krisch '07, this year's senior class speaker, outlined his version of an effective template for dialogue in his student address at the 56th commencement ceremony Sunday.He was chosen to be the senior commencement speaker from a group of five finalists by a committee of students, faculty and staff. Students narrowed down the group of candidates from 10 to five by voting in the semifinal round, when they had the opportunity to read the candidates' speeches online.

In an upbeat and energetic discourse, Krisch, a former editor at the Blowfish, a humor publication on campus, fittingly used a joke to introduce the concept of dialogue in his speech.

"It's something we did on Saturday night and something we did on Monday morning. No, not drinking beer," Krisch said of engaging in dialogue.

Krisch explained that over their four years here, his classmates frequently took on the challenge of engaging in productive dialogue on controversial events such as the appearance of racist statements in campus publications, the visit of former President Jimmy Carter last January, the administration's removal of a Palestinian art display last spring and the school's recent partnership with Al-Quds University in East Jerusalem last spring.

He also noted that the seniors appropriately began their time at Brandeis by reading Confederates in the Attic, a book about how Pulitzer Prize-winning author Tony Horwitz traveled to the American South to engage in dialogue regarding the aftermath of the Civil War, for their first-year orientation.

"How can we maintain open and honest discussion while dealing with sensitive issues?" Krisch asked the crowd.

His solution was twofold. While keeping an open mind is valuable when hearing different opinions, one need not disregard one's own values in the process, he said.

"Dialogue is about accepting that you don't have all the answers while holding on to your moral values," he said.

On a personal level, Krisch added that he was able to engage in dialogue at Brandeis during his time on this campus by "pushing my ego aside" and "letting my opinions be influenced by the people here.