Debra Gratto, who served for four-and-a-half years as vice president for human resources, said she will leave Brandeis to return to working in the health-care industry.Gratto said her last day is Thursday. She will be working at St. Elizabeth's Medical Center in Brighton.?

During her time with the University, Gratto and her office administrated all personnel concerns, oversaw compliance with employment-related laws and enhanced training and staff development.

"I have very mixed emotions," Gratto said about leaving Brandeis. "My history has been in health care and I missed dealing with patients."

The search to fill her position is well underway, Peter French, executive vice president, said, adding that over 100 applicants, including several current Brandeis employees, are being considered for the position. French declined to disclose the names of any applicants.

French said he expects the position to be filled within three months but acknowledged that it could take longer. "We want to find the right person and achieve consensus the best we can," he said.

Administrators from across the University are involved in the search process, he said, because Human Relations is so intertwined with the University, specifically citing Jean Eddy, senior vice president for students and enrollment, Nancy Winship, the University's chief fundraiser and Provost Marty Krauss.

In her years at Brandeis, Gratto said she was dedicated to improving employees' salaries. "Brandeis needed to become a more competitive employer," she said.

But now, she said, "We're in good shape.