As a varsity athlete for the softball and volleyball teams and a volleyball coach at Brandeis, Sheryl Sousa never made it to the NCAA tournament. But in her third year as the University's athletic director, the Judges have now secured two trips to the Big Dance in women's basketball and one in men's basketball. JustSports caught up with the AD to talk about the unprecedented success of the basketball programs and the implications for the future of Brandeis athletics.

JustSports: What does sending both basketball teams to the NCAA tournament mean for the basketball program?

Shery Sousa: This accomplishment says a lot about the basketball program. Both teams have been working really hard and building toward this; it didn't happen overnight. The women showed they were a national contender by making the tournament last year, and the men have been steadily improving ever since coach [Brian] Meehan's arrival.

JS: How would you evaluate the current state of athletics at Brandeis?

SS: We are having a great year across the entire athletic program. The success of the basketball teams is certainly a highlight, but we also got three teams in the ECAC tournament this fall, and the men's cross country team finished second at University Athletic Association championships. Basketball is the most high-profile sport, but everyone is having success right now.

JS: What other sport at Brandeis besides basketball has the potential to seize the spotlight?

SS: In the next few years, I think we could build a lot of excitement around soccer with the new facility [at Gordon Field] that gives us the ability to have night games.

JS: What role has increased fan attendance and enthusiasm played in the success of the basketball teams this season?

SS: I give the fans a lot of credit; they are part of the team. It is so much easier to win with the support of a great home crowd. A lot of the fan support has been student driven. [The Athletics Department] can do all sorts of things, but the students have to want to be a part of school spirit. What we have seen is that [the] full community has embraced these teams and created a great atmosphere.

JS: How can the success of the basketball program be sustained over the long term?

SS: I don't know if it's possible to make the tournament every year, but we are at the level now where infrastructure is there for the basketball program. The coaches have the tools that they need to be successful, and if they keep recruiting hard, the teams should stay competitive.

JS: Is making the NCAA tournament more meaningful for you as an athletic director than it would have been as a player or coach?

SS: I went [to the NCAA tournament] once as a volleyball coach at Binghamton [University], and that was a very rewarding experience. But to make the tournament as an athletic director, when I can impact a wider range of student-athletes and help more than one team at a time, is definitely the most rewarding experience.