CORRECTION APPENDED (SEE BOTTOM):When former President Jimmy Carter spoke two weeks ago in the Shapiro Gym, he urged students and faculty to organize a trip to the Palestinian territories in order to observe the Palestinian-Israeli Conflict firsthand.

Several students are now trying to make the former President's suggestion a reality. Kevin Montgomery '07 said he and other members of the committee that brought Carter to campus have decided to realize Carter's suggestion.

"This is not an affirmative action," he said. "This trip is for a group of students who want to look and tell the Brandeis community what they see."

Montgomery said about 30 people have expressed interest in the trip, which he said will include only a few students and will last between three weeks and one month over a summer.

He said the proposed trip may visit Israel proper in addition to the territories.

The costs of the trip are not yet certain, Montgomery said, but added that it would be ideal if students did not have to pay.

While the committee is searching for funding, Montgomery said that who funds the trip is very important.

"We're critical in that process. We do not want to take money that comes with conditions," he said.

The committee to organize the trip currently consists of about 10 students, including Montgomery and Kenny Fuentes '08, and will eventually include faculty members, Montgomery said. He added that he is also looking for off-campus sources and partnerships to assist with funding, logistical and safety concerns.

The committee does not plan to release its estimated costs, Montgomery said. "We are still discussing donor matters within the core committee."

Montgomery said he is not concerned with the difficulty of raising the necessary funds for the trip. "We are diligently looking," he said.

Fuentes declined to comment on who they are asking for money.

Even though only a few students will actually go on the trip, Montgomery said he wants the planning process to be open to the entire University community.

"This should be as open and student-based as possible," Montgomery said, adding that meetings will be held for the community to ask questions and contribute to the project.

Montgomery also said the people who serve on the committee will not necessarily be the ones going on the trip, adding that an independent committee composed mostly of faculty members will be formed to review student applications.

Daniel Terris, director of the International Center for Ethics, Justice and Public Life, who has led the University in its partnership with Al-Quds University, a Palestinian institution in Jerusalem, said the trip is a great opportunity for Brandeis students.

"It is definitely a good idea to have exchanges and learn about the Palestinian community," Terris said.

The article incorrectly stated that this trip would include a visit to Israel. It may include a visit to Israel.