After losses to Washington University in St. Louis Friday and the University of Chicago Sunday, the men's basketball team is now 0-4 this season in conference road games. Before University Athletic Association play, eight of the Judges' 11 non-conference games were at home. However, coach Brian Meehan, who determines the Judges' non-conference schedule, downplays any speculation that the team's home-heavy schedule this season has contributed to its struggle on the road. The Judges' annual Tip-Off Tournament at home, which is two rounds long, means that the team usually plays more home games than road games out of conference. The team's nine other non-conference games each season are the variables that determine how home-heavy the schedule will be. While six of those nine games were at home this season, six against the same teams came on the road last season. JustSports talked with Meehan about the Judges' recent road play in the UAA.

JustSports: Has the team's home-heavy non-conference schedule contributed to its early struggles in UAA road games?

Brian Meehan: [Our road struggles] have nothing to do with the fact that the team's played more home games early in the year. No matter how many road games we play within our region, none of it compares to going on the road in the UAA-this conference is arguably the strongest in the country. You can't simulate being in St. Louis, Chicago or Cleveland. It is hard to win on the road in the UAA because the teams are very good.

JS: What about the road environment makes playing away from home tougher?

BM: The officiating is a little bit different [on the road], as the referees don't live very far from the school they are officiating at. Many people think St. Louis [where the Judges lost Friday] is the toughest place to play with regards to referees.

JS: Do hostile crowds also make it more difficult to play on the road?

BM: There was a big crowd in St. Louis, and it was a crowd that was there to cheer for Wash U. But I don't think that affects us. If anything, it helps the team focus a bit more.

JS: Considering all of the factors that go into road competition, how would you evaluate your team's performance so far this season away from home?

BM: The only road game where we didn't play well was at Rochester, but otherwise we have played just fine. We just need to catch a couple of breaks.