Most people receive gifts on their birthdays, but philanthropist Kathryn Wasserman Davis decided to celebrate her centennial by giving one. Davis donated $1 million to the Davis United World College Scholars Program to provide $10,000 grants to 100 college students who propose projects aimed at building peace. Students at Brandeis, one of the 76 member schools in the Scholars Program, can apply for grants individually or in groups, said Nicholas Senecal, associate director of admissions, who is the campus' coordinator of the project.

Senecal said the students are allowed to study in any location they wish, and the project can take the form of an essay, an art exhibit or anything else they wish to do, as long as the project has the goal of promoting peace.

"I want to use my 100th birthday to help young people launch some immediate initiatives, that could bring new thinking to the prospects for peace in the world," Davis said in a prepared statement announcing the project.

The project, which must be completed during the summer of 2007, has open-ended requirements, Senecal said. Students must submit a proposal outlining the goals and expected budgets of their projects to the Office of Admissions by Jan. 15 .

Senecal said a committee will examine applications and interview students, selecting one winning proposal and two alternates, which will be forwarded to the Scholars Program.

The Scholars Program will have the final say on the winners, Senecal said.

Senecal said he is working closely with the International Center for Ethics, Justice and Public Life at Brandeis, which offers a similar grant opportunity.

"Students who apply for an Ethics Center Student Fellowship may also apply for this," Senecal said, adding that students can get ideas for their projects through the Ethics Center.

The Ethics Center Student Fellowship allows students to create their own projects-which can involve issues such as human rights, hunger relief and gender equity-and receive a $3,500 stipend to cover their costs.

Senecal said that unlike the Ethics Center's grant, which is open only to sophomores and juniors, the Scholars Program grant is open to students from any class year.

Senecal also said he encourages students who have already been working on a similar project for their senior thesis to apply for the Scholars Program grant as an alternative to looking for a job in the summer of 2007.

The final decisions on the winning proposal will be mailed out by the Scholars Program by March 15, 2007.

Senecal will hold an information session for interested students Thursday, Nov. 2 in the Shapiro Campus Center from 4 to 5:30 p.m.