The intramural flag football season came to a close last Thursday night with nail-biting contests in the men’s and women’s championship games, as the top-seeded Sleep On Us took home the championship in the men’s bracket, and Johnny Softball claimed the women’s championship.

Under the bright lights on Gordon Field, the men’s finalists Sleep On Us and Abeshter’s Army competed for the cup. Sleep on Us, holders of the top defense allowing 8.6 points per game, came out of the gates strong with two touchdown receptions by Yen-Ruh Wu ’15.

The matchup between Sleep On Us and Abeshter’s Army saw the top-two offenses, each averaging more than 30 points scored per game. Abeshter’s Army nearly missed the championship game after winning a surprising championship last year, needing overtime to defeat Diesel And The Train Gang 48-41 in their semifinal matchup. Sleep On Us defeated Patchworkers 39-21 in their semifinal matchup, the second most points they gave up during the regular season. 

Abeshter’s Army came back in the second half to tie up the game with a 50-yard reception by Andrew Miller ’16 that set up a touchdown by Glen Chesir ’15, followed by a pick-six by Zach Breslaw ’15. Sleep On Us weathered the storm and was able to get their lead back with two interceptions for touchdowns, including one that stalled the Abeshter’s Army offense on the two yard-line as they threatened to tie the game.

In the end, Sleep On Us won 32-13 and was awarded the Paul Woolf ’73 Memorial Intramural Football Championship Cup and the commemorative t-shirts that go along with any intramural championship.

The women’s game between Johnny Softball and Girls in Skirts started off with a bang with Amanda Genovese ’15 rushing for an 80-yard touchdown run for Johnny Softball, and the squad would never look back afterward.

The two teams had squared off twice before during the season, and both ended in comfortable victories for Johnny Softball. The championship game was no different, as Johnny Softball used impressive play on both offense and defense to claim the championship and take home the commemorative t-shirts.

After a couple of possessions where neither team scored, Girls in Skirts sacked the quarterback in the end zone and got the first safety of the intramural season, making the score 6-2. But Girls in Skirts had no answer for Genovese, who rushed for another touchdown before halftime. Teammate Cori Coleman ’15 followed up Genovese’s touchdown with a pick- six to extend her team’s lead.

The Johnny Softball defense was relentless, pressuring the quarterback on almost every play and intercepting multiple passes that were not able to find their targets. Johnny Softball won the game 20-2 and the title of the Women’s League Intramural Flag Football Champions, cruising to the championship with dominating play on both sides of the ball.

The intramural season continues with the 3-on-3-basketball season, beginning on Nov. 19.

Editor’s Note: Glen Chesir ’15 is the Managing Editor of the Justice.