On May 13,  baseball utility player Kyle Brenner ’15 and infielder Tom McCarthy ’15 were named to the All-University Athletic Association second team for their outstanding seasons this year in conference play.

Brenner, a co-captain of the team, divided his year between pitcher and first base. 

As a pitcher, Brenner finished the year with four wins and an ERA of 2.98, both team highs. 

Brenner led the UAA with 81.2 innings pitched, 58 strikeouts and seven complete games, putting him in the top-10 among all Division III pitchers. 

Also, impressively, as a right-handed pitcher, he led the UAA in pickoffs at first base with five, which is the highest mark  for Brandeis since 2006.

Brenner also had a .286 batting average at the plate, leading the team with eight doubles, and ended second in the UAA with a .990 fielding percentage.

McCarthy was chosen to the team as an infielder after batting .304 and being one of three players to play in all of the Judges’ 33 games this season. 

McCarthy led the Judges with 35 hits and 19 RBIs. 

McCarthy's on base percentage of .352 was the highest among all qualifying players and supplanted these numbers with a selection to the UAA All-Tournament Team in March after batting .448 in eight conference games.  

During UAA play McCarthy was top-five in the conference batting average, hits, total bases, on-base percentage and slugging percentage as well.

These players join outfielder Ryan Healy ’16 in UAA honors. Healy was named UAA athlete of the week after a 3-4 performance in the Judges’ season-ending loss to Worcester Polytechnic Institute on April 29. 

Healy scored both of the Judges’ runs in the loss to WPI and added a double as support, going 3-4 from the plate for the Judges.

Brenner and McCarthy helped lead the Judges to a 5-3 home record and a 5-7 Florida tournament record, which was unfortunately marred by the Judges’ 3-10 mark on the road and 13-20 record overall.