Guard Kasey Dean '14 has stepped up in every way possible for the Judges over the course of her collegiate career.

Two years ago, women's basketball guard Morgan Kendrew '12 ended a storied four year-career with 974 points, 113 three-pointers and a spot in the 2012 New England Women's Basketball Association Senior All-Star Classic.

The Judges needed a new leader to step in and emerge as a consistent scoring threat.

Enter Dean, who has started in every game throughout the last two years and done just that for a Brandeis squad that is on the rise.

After a season in which she led the team in scoring nine times and in assists on 16 different occasions, Dean has become the first player since Kendrew to earn a selection to the NEWBA Classic.

This year, the annual all-star showcase will be held at Smith College on March 29.

"It feels really great to be recognized, but of course, it wouldn't be possible without our successful season," she said.
"We came together in some really big games and I wish others on the team could also be recognized, but this should be a great experience."

The NEWBA Classic is an event that seeks to honor outstanding seniors from Division III schools across New England.
Players from around the region receive nominations from both their coaches and sports information directors and are placed on a ballot. Coaches proceed to select 22 participants from this expansive field through a vote.

Dean captained a team that finished 14-13, earned a 7-7 mark within the University Athletic Association and, most significantly, secured its first playoff berth since the 2008 to 2009 season.

Dean's individual accomplishments range far and wide.

She led the team with 10 points per game and 3.2 assists per game this year, particularly thriving during the squad's impressive six-game conference winning streak. The senior guard also drained a career-high 20 points in a Feb. 14 loss to then-No. 2 Washington University in St. Louis and dished out a personal record of nine assists in a stunning upset of local rival Emmanuel College, the No. 1 seed in the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference Tournament.

"Every game during that whole streak was just a joy to play in," she said. "We just knew we could win, beginning with that [Jan. 26] victory over Emory [University]."

She also believes the critical skills she has acquired in her time with the Judges have figured prominently into her success.

"All of my decisions have been based on my basketball career," stated Dean. My self-discipline, ability to work on a team and split-second decision making has all been developed as a result of playing on this team."

Even though Dean's storied playing career may end with the NEWBA Classic, she still aspires to stay in the athletics realm. She has considered pursuing employment opportunities in sports marketing or in a collegiate athletic department.
Regardless, she knows it is a field she wishes to remain in for quite some time.

"I've tried other areas but just haven't had the same joy that I've had, for example, on the basketball court with this team," she said.