Earlier this month, Martin Baron was named the 2023 Richman Distinguished Fellow in Public Life. Baron is most well known for his positions as executive editor of the Washington Post from 2013 until his retirement in 2021 and editor of the Boston Globe from 2001-2012. 

During his time at the Post, the publication won 11 Pulitzer Prizes, including for coverage about Donald Trump and the Jan. 6, 2021 insurrection. In his tenure at the Globe, the paper conducted an investigation about sexual abuse within the Catholic church, which won a Pulitzer Prize and was portrayed in the 2015 hit film “Spotlight.”

The Richman Fellowship “recognizes an individual who has improved American society, strengthened democratic institutions, advanced social justice or increased opportunities for all Americans to share in the benefits of the United States,” according to its website page.

The fellowship was created in 2014 by Brandeis alumna Dr. Carol Richman Saivetz ’69 and her children Michael Saivetz ’97 and Aliza Saivetz Glasser ’01 to honor Carol’s parents. 

Baron was nominated by Neil Swidey, professor of the practice and director of the Journalism Program at Brandeis. Baron will be coming to campus from March 15-17, 2023 for an award ceremony and a talk, among other events. Additionally, as part of the fellowship, Baron will receive a prize of $25,000. 

“The ambitious works of journalism that Marty Baron has nurtured and defended have advanced social justice in the time-honored tradition of journalism: through illumination, accountability and humanity,” Swidey said in a Sept. 8 BrandeisNow article about the fellowship. 

Univ. President Ron Liebowitz expressed his excitement about Baron being selected as the Fellow in the same BrandeisNow article. “Brandeis’ motto is ‘Truth, even unto its innermost parts,’ and there are few people who exemplify that better than Martin Baron, who has dedicated his life to a steadfast pursuit of truth,” he said.