Christine Mann Darden

Honorary Doctor of Science

darden.jpg
Christine Mann Darden: Honorary Doctorate of Science

Darden is a mathematician, data analyst, and aerospace engineer. She has spent over 40 years working at the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, devoting her time to studying sonic booms and supersonic flight. She is perhaps most famous for being one of the scientists featured in the book “Hidden Figures: The American Dream and the Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Helped Win the Space Race,” which was subsequently adapted into a film with the same name. 

Darden received a Bachelor of Science in mathematics education as well as a teaching certification from Hampton University, at the time called Hampton Institute. Darden then moved on to Virginia State College, pursuing her Master of Science in applied mathematics while simultaneously teaching there. 

After graduating in 1967, NASA hired Darden to work as a “human computer” at the Langley Research Center. With the assistance of NASA, Darden received her Ph.D. in 1983, and after over 20 years working in the computer pool, she moved on to become an engineer at NASA, researching how to decrease sonic boom in supersonic flight. According to a nasa.gov article about her, Darden became well-known as “one of NASA's preeminent experts on supersonic flight and sonic booms.”

Darden was later appointed manager at the Langley Center and eventually became the first Black woman to be appointed into the Senior Executive Service, the highest rank in federal civil service. She became a fierce advocate and strong role model for women, and especially Black women, interested in science, mathematics, technology, and engineering. After four decades working at NASA, Darden retired in 2007. 

David Harris, P’05

Honorary Doctor of Humane Letters

harris.jpg
David Harris P'05: Honorary Doctor of Humane Letters

Harris has served as the president and CEO of the American Jewish Committee, one of the oldest Jewish advocacy organizations in the U.S. since 1990. 

Harris attended the University of Pennsylvania as an undergraduate student and then received a master’s degree as well as completed his doctoral studies at the London School of Economics. He was also a Senior Associate at Oxford University. 

Harris began working at the AJC in 1979. He left to work at the National Coalition Supporting Soviet Jewry in 1981, but returned three years later to the AJC, becoming the head of its Washington, D.C. office in 1987. In 1990, he became the executive director. 

The AJC is an advocacy organization that works to impact government policies and public opinions on “some of the most important issues facing the Jewish people,” according to their website. They focus on combatting antisemitism, protecting human rights, defending Israel, and strengthening interfaith relations. 

Throughout his time at the AJC, Harris has led the organization to participate in numerous humanitarian efforts across the world. He has overseen projects such as the resettling of Ethiopian Jews, working to advance treaties between Arab and Muslim-led nations, promoting global support for Israel, and the repeal of the 1991 “Zionism is racism” resolution adopted by the United Nations General Assembly.

David Harris, P’05

Honorary Doctor of Humane Letters