The women’s basketball team defeated Nichols College and Framingham State University to win their season-opening tip-off tournament.  Brandeis also hosted Eastern Nazarene College at the Red Auerbach Arena over the two day tournament, which featured giveaways and promotions for students in attendance at Friday evening’s season opener.

Judges 71, Nichols 45

The Judges began their season with a dominant 26-point victory over the Nichols College Bison, outscoring their opponents in all four quarters.  Nichols led by three after a few minutes, but the Judges pulled in front for good on a jump shot by Emma Reavis ’23 just over five minutes in.  That was part of an 8–0 scoring run which put Brandeis up 12–7 with two minutes left in the first quarter.  After the Bison pulled within one, the hosts went on another 8–0 run spanning the first and second quarters, leading 20–11 a minute past the timeout.  A Jillian Petrie ’21 three pointer made it 23–11 before Nichols broke the scoring streak with a free throw. Nichols were able to enter halftime down 32–21 but the Judges scored the first nine points of the third quarter, including a triple by Kat Puda ’21.  Another 9–0 run later in the third quarter put Brandeis up 53–25, making the victory  no longer in question at the beginning of the fourth quarter.

The Bison attempted 76 field goals in the game to 64 for the Judges, but Nichols shot just 22% from the field, going three for 31 from three point range.  Brandeis had 11 different players score and each available player spent at least 10 minutes on the court.  Petrie, Reavis and Samira Abdelrehim ’21 all scored double figures. Abdelrehim and Hannah Nicholson ’20 paced the team with eight rebounds each. Petrie and debuti Francesca Marchese ’23 each had two of the Judges’ eight three-pointers in the convincing win.

Judges 72, Framingham State 54

On Saturday, the Judges took on the Framingham State University Rams, who had defeated Eastern Nazarene on Friday 59–51.  The teams took the court after the Lions beat  Nichols in an exciting consolation game ending 66–63.  There was less drama in the championship as the hosts took home the trophy, thanks to a fantastic afternoon from behind the arc.

After the Judges got on the board first, Framingham State went on an early 7–0 run to take a four point lead with three and a half minutes remaining in the opening quarter.  Brandeis answered immediately with eights straight points of their own before exiting the quarter with a 15–12 advantage. It was back and forth at the beginning of the second quarter before a pair of quickfire threes by Petrie and Camila Casanueva ’21 put the Judges up by seven.  The margin was 11 by halftime as the home team took a 36–25 lead into the break.  The Rams brought it back to 44–41 in the final minute of the third quarter before Puda hit an important three with five seconds left.  It was still within striking distance two minutes into the fourth when Petrie connected from downtown to make it 52–43.  A pair of triples from Lauren Rubinstein ’20, coming on either side of one by Petrie, comprised another 9–0 run for the Judges, who at this point led 61–45. Brandeis could see the game out comfortably from there.

The Judges shot 14 of 30 from three, accounting for over half of their points in the game, while attempting 72 shots and holding their opponents to 57.  Casanueva, transfer Courtney Thrun ’21, Petrie, and Puda all scored double digits while Rubinstein had five assists.  Casanueva, Puda, Nicholson and Thrun all had at least seven rebounds while all twelve available players saw action.  It was a successful opening to the season for the Judges, who next face Roger Williams University away on Tuesday.