The Justice unanimously elected Jocelyn Gould ’21 editor in chief for the 2019–20 academic year on April 16. Justice editors and staff members held a meeting during which Gould discussed her goals for her upcoming term as editor in chief and answered questions from attendees.

A Creative Writing and Politics double-major, Gould served as arts editor and co-editor in chief of her high school newspaper before joining the Justice’s News section as a first-year. She quickly progressed to serving as co-News editor her second semester and held the position until February 2019. For the next two months, she worked under then-Editor in Chief Avraham Penso ’20 as a Deputy editor. 

“I want to make sure our reporting is staying really high-quality and improving,” Gould said in an interview with the Justice. She emphasized the importance of pursuing investigative stories and publishing articles that are “helpful for the community and that clarify misconceptions people might have about things that are happening in the community.” 

In her election speech, Gould also expressed her intention to recruit staff from a wide variety of backgrounds and improve the sensitivity of cultural event coverage. 

Jen Geller ’20 was elected Managing editor, the newspaper’s second-in-command, on April 9. A Chemistry and Biology double-major, Geller served as co-Copy editor before becoming a Deputy editor in September 2018. Geller explained that her experiences photographing for the Justice and writing for each section have given her a thorough understanding of the paper’s reporting and production processes. 

As Managing editor, Geller said she intends to work with Gould to enhance the quality of reporting. In addition, she hopes to “improve the Justice’s relationship with various clubs on campus.” 

Gould and Geller spoke highly of their partnership. “For the last semester we’ve been training together, and I think we’ve built up a really good working relationship,” Gould said. 

Gould is also looking forward to the opportunities the upcoming term will bring. “I know it’s going to be really challenging, but I’m really excited to see how the paper can grow in a year,” she said.