The women’s basketball team has started off their season with one win and one loss, creating an overall record of 1–1 with no games yet in the University Athletic Association. Between the rookies and the returning players, the team brings a large amount of talent to the court, making the prospects of this season strong. 

Judges 95, Western Connecticut State 104

The Judges fell in their second game of the season to the Western Connecticut State University Colonials with a score of 95–104. Both teams struggled in the first 40 seconds of play to make their way to the scoreboard. Katherine Puda ’21 was the first to score for the game with a layup. However, this was quickly followed by a three-point shot by the Colonials’ Frances Snyder. It would take almost a minute before another point was scored for either team, when Shannon Smally ’22 made a layup, bringing the score to 3–4. Both teams would continue to battle hard in the rest of the first quarter, but ultimately the Colonials would end up 22–18 at the end of the quarter. At the half, the Judges actually pulled ahead, and led with a score of 45–41. However, this lead was short-lived. With 2:16 left in the third quarter, the Colonials tied the score at 60 points, and although the Judges took the lead again at 62–60, Western Connecticut State came back hard and led at the end of the third 68–64. The fourth quarter solidified the victory for the Colonials, as they would break 100 points to end the game with a final score of 104–95. 

Judges 81, Raiders 66

The Judges were victorious in their season-opening game against the Rivier University Raiders with a score of 81–66. Brandeis started off strong in the first 30 seconds of play, as Puda made a three-point jump shot. The team would lead after the first quarter with a score of 25–14. By the end of the first half, the win would further increase, and the Judges would be ahead of the Raiders by 46–30. Although Rivier outscored the Judges by six points in the second half, it did not matter. The Raiders were unable to overcome the gaping 27-point lead that the Judges had built early on in the third quarter. The Judges would hold onto their lead throughout the rest of the game and overtake the Raiders 81–66. In fact, the Judges outrebounded Rivier as well, by 61–33 and while 25 of those rebounds were offensive for the Judges, only eight were for the Raiders. After Puda began the game so strong for the Judges, there would be 10 additional three-point shots made this game. In points contributed, Sarah Jaromin ’19 led for the Judges, scoring 19 of the game’s points. 

The Judges have built up to the start of their season with a long preseason, according to junior Katie Goncalo ’20. She said to the Justice, “We have struggled with a couple injuries in our preparation for the season, but it has not stopped us from getting in the gym and putting in the time and hard work. Regardless of some minor setbacks, everyone, injured teammates or ones ready to play, have worked hard to contribute to the team and kick the season off on a high note.”

Goncalo also highlighted that the first-years who are new to the team are confident and could make their mark on the program from early on in the season. “Along with winning, I really do think this is a chance for new players, or players who maybe didn’t see as much time last year to step up and find a new sense of confidence in their self and on the court. The work ethic of this team will take us far in the season but along with some new confidence the team finds, I really think once both of these factors really fall into place, the wins will come hand-in-hand,” she said.

The Judges have a long season ahead and will tackle some very talented competition. Their next opponent is the Emmanuel College Saints on Tuesday, Nov. 20 at 5 p.m. at home. The following game will then be against the Jumbos of Tufts University on Sunday Nov. 25, also at home in the Red Auerbach Arena. There will be a military appreciation game against Salem State University on Tuesday, Nov. 27 to round out a busy November. 

Come December, the Judges will begin with a matchup against Johnson & Wales University on the first of the month at the University. Just two days later, Brandeis will play Babson college that Monday, Dec. 3. Games against Gordon College on Saturday Dec. 8 and Roger Williams University on Tuesday Dec. 11 will round out the action in December. In January, after a New Year’s Day game against Regis College, the Judges will begin to play their University Athletic Association Rivals. They will take on New York University, Carnegie Mellon University, Case Western Reserve University, the University of Chicago, Washington University in Saint Louis, Emory University and the University of Rochester on Jan. 5, Jan. 11, Jan. 13, Jan. 18, Jan. 20, Jan. 25 and Jan. 27, respectively. Come February, the Judges will continue to play their UAA rivals, many for a second time. They will take on Emory University, the University of Rochester, Carnegie Mellon University, Case Western Reserve University, the University of Chicago, Washington University in Saint Louis and New York University on Feb. 1, Feb. 3, Feb. 8, Feb. 10, Feb. 15, Feb. 17 and Feb. 23, respectively.