The men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams performed at their peak during the competitive Worcester Polytechnic Institute meet this past weekend. 

The men fell to host WPI 190-108 but were able to overcome Babson College in a 150-134 win. 

The Judges A team fell to fourth place in the 200-yard medley relay, losing to all three WPI teams and the Babson A team. Yet the Judges were undeterred, coming back incredibly strong in the following events of the day. 

Zach Diamond ’18 swam to a bronze medal in the 1000-yard freestyle event. 

In the 100-yard backstroke, the Judges struck again, taking home the gold medal. Tamir Zitelny ’20 continued his impressive inaugural season with a winning time of 54.82 in the event. Zitelny took home more gold hardware in the 100-yard butterfly event and the 200-yard individual medley. 

Another first-year, Noah Ayers ’20, cruised to a silver medal in the 500-yard with a time of 5:01.71. 

Zitelny’s older brother, Edan Zitelny ’17, was not to be outdone, snagging a gold medal in the 200-yard butterfly event. Edan Zitelny crossed the finish line at 2:03.00 to give the Judges their second gold of the day, with Eb Weber ’17 following in fourth. In the 200-yard individual medley, he fell to his younger brother but was still able to secure a respectable bronze medal.

Despite the split, the Judges took home a solid basket of medals against tough competition. 

On the women’s side, the Judges were able to rack up multiple top-three finishes on the day. The women lost to WPI but came up big with wins against Babson and Smith College. 

The women started off the day well, with the A squad squeezing into second place in the 200-yard medley relay. 

In the 1000-yard freestyle, Kylie Herman ’19 swam to a fantastic gold medal. Herman was the only Brandeisian to swim in the long event, finishing with a time of 11:01.48. Herman kept adding to her repertoire, winning a silver medal in the 200-yard butterfly and tacking on another silver medal in the 100-yard freestyle. 

Phillipa Zeku ’20 splashed into another gold for the Judges with a cool time of 1:03.10 in the 100-yard backstroke. Zeku notched another two medals on the day, an incredible feat for a first-year.

The women finished with an A-team gold in the 200-yard freestyle relay to cap a stellar day at the pool.

The Judges will continue against Bentley University on Nov. 18 and will look to wreak havoc in the pool once again.