New volleyball coach Alesia Vaccari has a simple game plan for the Judges in her first year on the job and is setting a high bar for a successful season. 

Vaccari hopes to transform the squad into a defensive minded team, one that can outlast opponents through digs and blocks, and hopefully guide her new team to at least a dark horse role in the University Athletic Association. 

Vaccari was announced as head coach in a press release on June 27, and takes over as volleyball coach with the promotion of former head coach Michelle Kim to assistant athletic director. 

Kim spent 10 years as head coach of the squad with a career 172-177 record overall. 

Vaccari played college volleyball as a setter at Springfield College, where she holds the all-time school record for assists. She spent two years as an assistant coach at Clarkson University—during which the team earned a berth to the NCAA Tournament—and served as head coach at Simmons College from the 2011 to 2012 season to the 2013 to 2014 season. 

While at Simmons, Vaccari guided the program from last place to fourth place in her first year as coach and was named conference coach of the year. 

The decision to join the Brandeis   program was an easy one according to Vaccari. 

“The school is well renowned in the country, one of the best academic schools in New England,” she explained. 

“The conference [was a big factor in the decision] and being able to travel and play the best teams is an opportunity not many other places can offer.”

To help a team that went just 10-26 last year, Vaccari wants to rebuild the team’s techniques from the ground up. 

“We’ve been going over basic techniques [in practice] and breaking out of bad techniques, so only good things can happen,” she said.

Vaccari demands that her players give their all no matter what—be it on or off the practice court. She explained that giving 100 percent effort in practice overflows not only to the game, but also off the court, be it at school or a job.

“I’m looking to continue to teach the girls to work hard, hold each other accountable and value teamwork,” she said. 

“I think all good things come when the girls are on the same page,” she remarked.

A resident of Boston’s North End, Vaccari did not have to travel far for her new job, but with the team she will need to travel cross-country to square off against some of Division III’s top programs, including Emory University—the second-ranked team in the country—and Washington University in St. Louis. 

Even with the tall task of playing in the UAA, Vaccari has her goals one step further ahead—the NCAA Tournament postseason.

“[I’m aiming for an] at-large bid; I would love to achieve it in my first year and even though it is tough it is not impossible,” Vaccari said. 
Regardless of the NCAA Tournament, Vaccari has smaller goals for the squad as well, including finishing the season with a record above a .500 winning percentage and passing above 2.5 percent per game.
Above all, Vaccari sees defense as the key to a successful season. “If we can out-dig our opponents then we are on the right track,” she explained. 
Vaccari said she will stress defense in practice and hopes to mold the team to outwait an opponent and exploit their weaknesses through a strong defense.
“We are practicing really hard and I hope that overflows into [the opening] game,” she said.
The role of coach brings an additional challenge—serving as a mentor off the court as well. Vaccari hopes to get to know her team off the court to better serve as a mentor. 
“Working in higher education is a great atmosphere,” she said. “I want to get to know Brandeis and what kind of student athlete can be successful here.” 
Vaccari has goals for herself as coach as well, including recruiting new players from outside the New England region. 
She hopes to target players from California, ones who play against stronger competition than the rest of the country at an earlier age.
Vaccari will have her hands full in her first year as head coach, but she seems to be up for the challenge. 
“[The Brandeis job is] a great opportunity and I’m honored to be a part of the staff,” she said.