Since his arrival at the Rose Art Museum just over two years ago, Henry and Lois Foster Director Chris Bedford has reinvigorated the museum. The Rose, which houses works from celebrated up-and-coming artists as well as well-known masterpieces, is quickly becoming more visible as one of Brandeis’s most valuable features.  

This board commends Bedford, along with the Rose staff and advisors, for their work in revitalizing the museum. Bedford has made the Rose more accessible than ever before, with gallery talks, symposiums and artist talks. The Rose has become a center for academic thought on campus. 

The museum has had some recent enormous triumphs: This summer, the members of the Board of Advisors more than doubled, adding 15 new members to its ranks. Two weeks ago, the museum acquired  $200,000 through two first-time grants. The opening of this semester’s exhibits and the new permanent installation, “Light of Reason,” this week yielded more than 1,500 guests. During the past academic year, six artists with works on view came to speak at the Rose, and more are scheduled to speak this year. 

The museum has also received increased media attention. A Feb. 22 piece in the Boston Globe called  last semester’s work on view “first-rate.” The Globe wrote on Aug. 9 about the new installation, “Light of Reason.” Even the New York Times published an obituary for Sam Hunter, the first director of the museum, in an Aug. 25 article. 

The opening of the exhibits and lighting of the new installation this week displayed this new era of celebrating the Rose. On Wednesday, students, faculty, donors, artists and administration came together, united by the art. As all the speakers on Wednesday night mentioned, “Light of Reason” was made to be interactive. Students can sit on the benches, work and relax. Coordinator for the Student Committee for the Rose Art Museum Alex Hall ’15 said in an interview with the Justice that SCRAM is planning increased outdoor student programming for this new structure. 

We hope the University continues its support of the museum, and that students continue to use the Rose’s resources in order to enrich their college experience.