There are lots of things to consider when diving into a relationship: morals, prejudices, goals and...murder? Lights up on two women in a bar: Ashley (Micheline Bellmore '15) is sobbing into her drink about a breakup while Rachel (Sarah Duffett '17) consoles her. Just as the audience begins to sympathize with Ashley, she reveals that she's upset over Rachel's breakup, not her own. Rachel, on the other hand, is surprising cavalier about her position. As Rachel's ideas about love unfold, so does the hilarious play that is Killer & Me, written and directed by John Schnorrenberg '14.

After the lights go down on the bar, we enter the office of Detective Rachel Amalea as she attempts to crack the case of the San Francisco strangler. On her way home from work one day, she bumps into Ted Bunstein (Andrew Agress '17). Rachel, who is trying to be more open to love and opportunities, follows Ted to his apartment where she quickly discovers that he is the serial killer she is looking for. Instead of closing the case then and there, Rachel develops a plot to take down Ted by herself, proving to her extravagant partner and boss, Doug Carson (Isaac Rabbani '14), that she neither needs nor wants his help. Rachel decides to date Ted and collect all of the evidence she needs to solve the case by herself. That, however, is when things get complicated and Rachel quickly falls in love with Ted, even though she knows his true identity. 

The most impressive part about Killer & Me was the actors, who were as genuine as they were hilarious. Duffett gave an impressive performance, balancing comedy with her character's moral struggle. Agress' portrayal of a serial killer was equally as convincing and funny, while also frightening at times. His sincerity and comedic timing made his character come to life, and as hard as it may seem, likable in his sincere affection toward Rachel. For me, however, is was Bellmore who truly stole the show. Her ability to quickly snap from ridiculously emotional to serious performances left the audience laughing hysterically. I found myself wanting to hear more from Ashley throughout the show.

In general, however, the cast had trouble with stopping after comedic lines to allow for laughter. Actors were continuously drowned out by the audience's response, not pausing long enough or at all for the viewers to appreciate a funny moment. In contrast, the transitions between scenes took too much time. Although it can be difficult to transition between scenes in the Shapiro Campus Center Theater due to the space and the small amount of time the crew has to prepare during tech week, the moments between scenes could have been better orchestrated. An addition of music to keep the audience engaged would have been beneficial.

The plain but functional set was compensated for by the props and costumes used. An eye-catching painting splattered in blood hung in Ted's apartment, acting as the eerie background of Ted's murders as well as his blossoming relationship with Rachel. The clever costumes, designed by Fiona Merullo '16, changed in color as the characters developed. For example, Ted started the first act in red, but changed to match the green dress of Rachel as they fell in love. Although the furniture, costumes, characters and patterns highlighted in the production were cohesively reminiscent of the 1970s, the period of the play was vague due to some pieces of modern technology and contemporary pop-culture references.

The script itself included some issues. The minor roles, although well-acted, felt like stock characters. They worked to promote the comedic aspects of the play, but they were not as multi-dimensional as other characters. In the second act, Rachel reveals to Ted why she was dating him, basically retelling the plot of the play. This leaves the audience far ahead of the action, allowing for their minds to wander away from the show. Once the ending does arrive, I was not convinced by Rachel's decision of whether or not to stay with Ted. I felt that more time could have been spent watching her struggle over her morals and her feelings.

However, it is important to note that Killer & Me is Schnorrenberg's first full-length play, which alone is impressive. His script excelled in its farcical nature. While most of the humor was slapstick, some of the jokes were also metaphysical, using the play to make fun of the play. Other jokes were geared toward Brandeis specifically. The funniest point was when one of the characters said that murder is "not at all something to be taken lightly." The cast broke the fourth wall to stare at the audience, poking fun at the play. 

Overall, the successes of the cast and production staff outweighed the weaknesses within the production. The hard work of those involved carried the show through the minor rough patches, making for a truly wonderful, thought-provoking and hilarious production. Killer & Me may need some revisions before it moves forward in the theatrical circle, but is a hysterical first endeavor at a play full of potential.