The top collegiate fencers in the nation will officially be convening in Waltham come the 2016 season.

In a video release on December 11, 2013, the NCAA announced Brandeis will host the 2016 National Collegiate FencingChampionships at Gosman Sports and Convocation Center.

The meet will bring nationally-ranked fencers together from Divisions I, II and III.

Following 1994, 1999, and most recently, 2004, the 2016 edition of the NCAA tournament will mark the fourth time that the Judges have hosted the meet.

The Judges, encouragingly, have had success in years that they have hosted the tournament.

Brandeis produced All-Americans in two of the three years as hosts and earned a school-record 12th overall finish in 1999.

Coach Bill Shipman outlined how the hosting opportunity came to fruition for the University.

"Since we hosted the tournament [in 2004], it was always in the back of our minds to host in the future, and I proposed to [Director of Athletics] Sheryl [Sousa] '90 to put our name in the bidding process," he explained. "Nowadays, more schools want to host-probably to give a better opportunity to win. Sheryl went through the process and paperwork and I think they wanted to come back to the East Coast."

Shipman also expressed his excitement for the opportunity to host such a prestigious event.

"The last three or four tournaments have been at big cities and at big universities, like Ohio State University, so it's a little unusual," he continued in his explanation.

"We're one of the only [Division III] schools to host in recent history, so it gives us a lot of visibility as coaches and parents come to the area.

Hosting puts our name on the fencing map a little better, and it's pretty exciting some times. Some people who don't see fencing come out and see the tournament-students, faculty and staff-which is nice."

Shipman stated that, in hosting the tournament, fencers will have extra incentive to perform above and beyond expectations.

"It certainly gives extra motivation to fencers who have the capability to make NCAAs and to make NCAAs in front of a home crowd is a nice addition to the honor of being there ... but it's not as easy as it used to be," he noted.

He also stated that the announcement illuminated the development of the school's fencing program.

"I'd like to think [that our program has developed], and [our hosting] lets people know we have a solid program and the Athletics department believes enough in fencing and is willing to showcase the department, facility and everything," he said.

The selection of Waltham came as part of a new NCAA Championship bidding system, which created the largest host-site announcement ever. The NCAA announced 82 championships across a four-year cycle in December, a move designed to allow the host sites as much time as possible to plan the championship.

"We really want to thank everyone who put in a bid," said Mark Lewis, NCAA Executive Vice President of Championships and Alliances, in a press release on Dec. 11 that accompanied the announcements earlier that day.

"The competitiveness of the bids made it extremely difficult for the sport committees to select sites as there just weren't spots for all of the great bids we received.

"Ultimately the sites that were selected will provide our student-athletes, coaches and fans the best experience possible."

Shipman, in his remarks, also chose to affirm Lewis' comments.

"In general, I think it's a good idea," he said.

"Obviously it gives more time for facilities and publicity. Two or three years are a good amount of time."

The NCAA also announced the 2017 and 2018 hosts of the tournament in the video release, confirming that the tournament will stay around the East Coast.

The nation's top fencers will visit the University of Notre Dame in Fishers, Ind. and Pennsylvania State University in University Park, Pa. in 2017 and 2018, respectively.