In a team full of seniors, it can be hard for a first-year player to shine.

That has not been the case for guard Robinson Vilmont '17.
In his first year as a member of the men's basketball team, Vilmont has appeared in all 16 games this season and has impressed for the Judges, averaging 7.1 points per game on 45 percent shooting from the field. Vilmont averages 18.6 minutes per game, easily the most minutes per game of all first-years, ranking fifth on the team behind four seniors.

No other first-year player averages more than 12 minutes, 3.3 points or 1.9 rebounds per game. Vilmont leads in all three categories for first-year players on the Judges.

He has grown into his spot on the team, culminating in a season-high six assists in Sunday's 94-88 loss to Emory University.

"My goal was to get 10 assists [on Sunday], but I couldn't get it," he remarked about the game.

On the team's final possession, and down by just two points, Vilmont found himself at the top of the key. He then drove into the lane in the hopes of drawing a foul and obtaining a chance to tie the game. Although he did not get the foul call he was looking for, the confidence his teammates have in him has been well earned.

Vilmont began the year with a personal-best 13 points in the team's home-opening win in November.

However, he saw his playing time-and his point totals-dwindle as the competition got increasingly more difficult. Coach Brian Meehan has shifted his starting lineup throughout the season based on matchups, and ultimately, Vilmont's time on the court has been reflective of the coach's strategy.

The guard saw a season-high 30 minutes against Lasell College in November, but then, entered the game for just one minute in the team's loss to Washington University in St. Louis on Jan. 17 and only five minutes in a loss to New York University six days prior to that.

Since the loss to WashU, Vilmont has averaged nearly 20 minutes per game, adding eight points and four assists for the Judges in the team's previous three games.

"My confidence has been going through the ceiling because of how much trust coach has on me now," he said.

Even amid his changing role, Vilmont looks to contribute to the overall success of the team.

"Since coach switches the lineup depending on matchup just means that when your number is called you need to be ready to perform and work hard," he explained.

Vilmont has found a different way of contributing in each game, registering a game-high four assists in the Judges' win over Rochester on Friday and a team-high four rebounds on Sunday.

The guard, who spent last year in the Myra Kraft Transitional Year Program, is proud of his contributions so far to the team but has his sights set on pushing himself to be the most complete player possible.

"My first semester as being a Judge is going really well," Vilmont said.

"I am doing well in all my classes thanks to [TYP] for preparing me. My personal goal for the future is to be in the best shape of my life and soon become an All-American."

A team with a core of experienced players may just have to step aside as Vilmont continues to develop as a key member of the Judges.
*