What started out as a frustrating game against the Florida Panthers ended in emphatic triumph for the Boston Bruins last Thursday night in TD Garden.

Following a scoreless first period, Boston's offense built a 1-0 advantage as center David Krejci scored a highlight-reel goal with seven minutes, 17 seconds left in the second period.

Yet, while the middle interval ended with the Bruins clinging to a slim 1-0 lead, the Boston offense exploded for three more goals in the third period to seal a commanding 4-1 victory.

"[Having a strong offense] makes it easier on the defense," goalkeeper Tuukka Rask said of the Bruins' offense. "But then again, when we were ahead 3-0 and then they get a goal, it's still a two-goal game and anything can happen. So, I just try not to get too comfortable out there and keep my head cool, and try to keep the puck out of the net and play those last minutes."

The first period was a defensive struggle. Scoring chances were at a premium and neither team possessed the puck cleanly.

However, the first score eventually came. Positioned just inside the blue line, Krejci released a slapshot on net. Though it was from a significant distance from the goal, the power on the shot was enough to beat Florida goalkeeper Scott Clemmensen for a one-goal advantage.

Other than that one goal, the Bruins failed to threaten offensively for the remainder of the second period. Yet, just as it appeared that Florida might be able to sneak a goal, the Bruins put the icing on the victory with two goals in quick succession.

Left wing Brad Marchand finished off a rebound from defenseman Torey Krug with 15:51 left in the game to give Boston a comfortable 2-0 advantage over the Panthers.

Given that it was Marchand's first goal in 13 games, it was a big relief for him to put one home.

"It's really nice to finally get one," Marchand said. "It's been a while and I forget what it felt like, but it's only a lucky goal like that and it's nice to get the monkey off the back."

Krug got himself in on the action just a few moments later, blasting home a shot for a 3-0 advantage with 11:03 left in thegame.

Even though the game seemed to be over, Florida provided a reminder that it was not out of the game just yet. Center Jesse Winchester slotted a backhanded shot past Rask, who saved 24 of 25 shots, to cut Boston's lead to 3-1 with 5:35 remaining.

However, it was the Bruins who would score the final goal with less than two minutes remaining. Right wing Reilly Smith put home an unassisted tally to cap the 4-1 victory.

Despite losing in emphatic fashion, Panthers' coach Kevin Dineen didn't fault his team's display, insisting that the parity between the teams was greater than the score on the board.

"There's not much to say," he said of the team. "I think the score is probably not overly indicative of the hockey game. At the end of the day, there's only one thing that matters and that's the two points at the end of the night. We're going to continue to search for a way to find a complete game that'll make a difference."

The Bruins continued their success on Saturday, downing the visiting Toronto Maple Leafs by a 3-1 score. Defenseman Zdeno Chara opened the scoring for Boston in the first period before Leafs right wing Joffrey Lupul tied the game in the second. Boston ultimately put the game away in the third, as center Patrice Bergeron scored two goals to give the home team a 3-1 victory.

The Bruins shut out the visting Tampa Bay Lightning 3-0 yesterday afternoon. Patrice Bergeron, Daniel Paille and Jarome Iginla all scored in a matchup of two of the Atlantic Divison leaders to carry the Bruins, who sit one point back of the division lead.

Boston returns to action Thursday at home against the Columbus Blue Jackets at 7 p.m.