The Boston Bruins, having started the season with two consecutive home victories, were looking to extend their winning streak against the visiting Colorado Avalanche on Thursday night.

However, the visitors, who came into the game with a 2-0 record, rode an inspired performance from backup goalkeeper
 Jean-Sebastien Giguere to a 2-0 victory. Giguere, who stopped all 39 shots that he faced, led his team to a win to spoil the Bruins' unbeaten record.

"I think a shutout is a team thing," said Giguere, deflecting praise despite his standout contribution in his first game of the season. "We have to be proud of the way that we killed the penalty tonight. It wasn't pretty the whole game, but getting two points [at the TD Garden] is a great sign for our team. We found a way to win the last two games on the road, and we have to be extremely happy with that."

The Bruins started the game in aggressive fashion, firing two shots inside the first minute that Giguere turned away. Down at the other end, Avalanche left wing Jamie McGinn was sent to the box after just one minute, 56 seconds for goaltender interference, meaning the Bruins had their first power play.

And they almost made the visitors pay. After Giguere had gone down to save a shot, he left a gaping hole in the net. However, just as left wing Milan Lucic prepared to pull the trigger, a Colorado defenseman was able to scramble the puck away. Meanwhile, Bruins goalkeeper Tuukka Rask came up with his first big save of the night, stopping center Nathan MacKinnon's effort at the second attempt.

Just five minutes in, a rocket from defenseman Dennis Seidenberg went just wide left. Even0 though the game was still scoreless, both teams were knocking at the door; it seemed only a matter of moments before the goals would start coming.

Despite a flurry of opening action, the game calmed down a bit. Both teams struggled to keep hold of the puck, and the few fast breaks that did occur were ultimately shut down by both defenses.

Just when it appeared the first period would end scoreless-despite the Bruins hitting the pipe twice-the Avalanche took the lead with just 39.3 seconds left in the period.

With Colorado on the power play, the visitors were feverishly attacking attacked the Bruins' end of the rink with venom. They eventually made the hosts pay as center Ryan O'Reilly finished a feed from fellow center Matthew Duchene for a 1-0 advantage just before the period.

Given the timing of the goal, it was a huge blow to the Bruins.

However, they fought back, and ultimately did everything except score.

A beautiful move from Boston forward Daniel Paille highlighted the second period, as he turned past several defenders in an excellent effort before firing a shot toward the net. Unfortunately, the shot went well wide of the goal.

The game featured a handful of penalties, including a 10 minute misconduct from Lucic after an altercation with Colorado forward Gabriel Landeskag. Given the Bruins were chasing the game, such an infraction was a huge blow to their rhythm.

And despite trying hard to desperately find the equalizer in the third period, the Bruins-after pulling Rask with two minutes to play-conceded their second goal, as Duchene delivered the coup de grace with 26 seconds left.

Despite falling in its third game of the year, Bruins coach Claude Julien was not upset with the effort.

"You've got to give them credit for how well they played," he said. "Yet, I don't think I'm really disappointed in the effort more than we've got to find ways to win those games, and we didn't do it tonight."

The Bruins return to action Thursday night, visiting the Florida Panthers at 7 p.m.
*