Though the No. 8 women's soccer team started the season in undefeated fashion, winning its first five games and outscoring its opponents by a 16-2 margin, it was on the receiving end of a tough loss last week at Gordon College.

After drawing level twice, the Judges ultimately fell after ceding a goal with less than 10 minutes left in the game. And while the team had ample chances to draw level, Brandeis wasn't able to find the back of the net once again, falling in a cruel 3-2 defeat.

"Gordon was a tough team, but we also had a hard time adjusting to the grass field," said forward Dara Spital '15, who scored the second equalizer against the host Fighting Scots.
"It was a well-battled game and we created many chances [outshooting the hosts 23-6] but were a bit unlucky."

The Judges didn't start the match in ideal fashion, as-despite outshooting Gordon 5-1 in the first 10 minutes-they conceded the first goal just 13 minutes, two seconds into the game.

Gordon senior midfielder Hannah Woudenberg crossed the ball from the left flank into the middle of the penalty box, where Fighting Scots' junior midfielder Hannah Midwinter then recorded a goal for a 1-0 advantage.

Showing resilience, Brandeis equalized less than three minutes later through an unlikely source. From a corner kick, center-back Kelly Peterson '14 slammed the ball home, stopping the clock at 15:54 to knot the game at 1-1.

Given the Judges' ranking as the top Division III team in New England-according to the National Soccer Coaches Association of America-one might have expected the Judges would take the initiative and grab the go-ahead goal.

However, the opposite fate proved true, as Gordon grabbed the advantage in the 29th minute. Sophomore forward Lauren Hayes finished a cross from Woudenberg, who notched her second assist of the game for a 2-1 advantage.

After falling behind, the Judges tied the game once again, this time in the 35th minute.

Spital, one of Brandeis' chief offensive threats who had been held scoreless for the previous two games-even with assists in both of those contests-got on the board, as she finished a hard shot from inside the box into the far side of the net to tie the game at 2-2.

The second half was a tepid affair, as, for significant amounts of time, neither team was able to breach the other's goal.
However, the game was turned on its head in the 81st minute, as Gordon took the lead in dramatic circumstances.

Having been played a ball by senior defender Julia Miller, Midwinter found herself at the top of the box. She took a touch and curled a shot beyond diving goalkeeper Michelle Savuto '15 in the right corner of the net.

Though the concession of the goal was demoralizing in nature, the Judges continued to push for the tying goal.

Forward Holly Szafran '16 had a shot in the 82nd minute, but Gordon sophomore goalkeeper McKenzie Dion stonewalled the effort. Additionally, Spital and defender Alec Spivack '15 sent shots in the final minute that were high and wide, respectively, as Gordon-though outshot by a significant 23-6 margin-closed out the game for a seismic victory.

Despite falling for the first time this season, Spital said she believes that the team's unity and character has helped it perform well in its other opening games.

"[Aside from the loss to Gordon], we have been having a great season so far," she said. "Our team has a lot of confidence in each other and have great team chemistry both on and off the field. It makes it easier to win games when you have trust in your teammates."

However, as any defeat will do, the loss did make the Judges reflect a bit on their team's mission and consider changes.

Spital said that the team, which has kept shutouts in four of its first six matches, will return its focus to strong defense.

"Our biggest focus is keeping the ball out of the back of our net," she said. "We have been working a lot on defending corner kicks and quick counterattacks. We try not to look too far ahead down our schedule. We are focusing on one game at a time. We've been getting better with every practice and are very excited for our big games [against Wellesley College and Bowdoin College] this week."

The Judges are back in action tonight, hosting the Wellesley Blue at 7 p.m. before travelling to Bowdoin to face the Polar Bears on Saturday for a 1 p.m. contest.