The New England Revolution was quite excited to acquire the number-one selection for the Major League Soccer SuperDraft in January.

It turns out the squad made a wise investment in right-back Andrew Farrell.

A right-back who has started 27 games this season, the 21-year-old Farrell has gained valuable experience in his first year in the MLS.

"Growing up in Peru, where soccer is the biggest sport, I played every day after class," said Farrell, a Louisville, Ky. native who lived in South America from ages five to 15 with his parents. "I just played a lot of soccer."

Despite his young age, Farrell's pedigree is impressive. A former National Soccer Coaches Association of America First Team All-American at the University of Louisville, he was named Big East Player of the Year as a junior in college, and was an integral part of a team that took part in the NCAA Division I Championship all three years that he played.

However, it is his adaptability that is arguably Farrell's biggest asset. After starting his collegiate career as a defensive midfielder, he was switched to center-back and now plays right-back.
"I got my technical ability from playing in Peru," he said, explaining that a lot of defenders are mostly known for their physical side of the game.

"It's a pretty good level of soccer there, and it's very competitive. Overall, developing that technical ability has helped me throughout my career."

When asked who his main influences were, Farrell cited the Revs' head coach Jay Heaps.

"[Heaps] played that position in his career," said Farrell. "A lot of what we've talked about is timing. If [left-back] Chris [Tierney] is staying back, I have to go forward and support the attack. When he goes forward, I stay back. When we're chasing the game, we have to support the offense and go forward. [Opponents] can get broken down by us having more numbers up top.

"It's kind of like an accordion-when one of us goes somewhere, the other shifts to help out."

Though a title such as "number-one draft pick" might come with prestige, Farrell does not let that go to his head. His down-to-earth, driven personality is evident and suggests that his focus and drive have not been altered by the accolades he has received.

"At some point, I'd love to represent my country," he said. "Being able to play for my national team would be incredible. As far as my [individual] game goes, I just want to grow offensively-I think my game can still increase a lot in that area. And I'll hopefully get the chance to play in Europe if that opportunity comes."

Despite his ambitions, Farrell isn't getting too far ahead of himself, and is appreciative of his current challenge.

"I'm happy where I am right now," he said. "I'm in a good place."