Last season, on August 24, 2012, the Boston Red Sox were in unfamiliar territory. The Sox secured a 4-3 victory at home against the Kansas City Royals-yet, it was utterly meaningless. Boston once treasured late August victories, each proving to be essential for the team's potential playoff prospects.
Instead, the Red Sox held a 62-67 record and limped to a last-place finish in the American League East under manager Bobby Valentine.

Fast-forward to one year later.

The Red Sox are 75-55 and tied with the Tampa Bay Rays for first place under manager John Farrell, who formerly served as a pitching coach for the team. Boston has officially returned to normalcy-but how?

The pitching staff, with the exception of starting pitcher Clay Buchholz, who is currently nursing a neck injury, has been healthy and dominant. The Red Sox's ace, Jon Lester, leads the team with 11 wins and 135 strikeouts. John Lackey, a starting pitcher who has often struggled in his three years at Fenway, is currently sporting a 3.17 earned run average and 135 strikeouts. Highly touted pitching prospect Felix Doubront has shined in his first full season in the major leagues, recording a 3.79 ERA and 122 strikeouts.

General Manager Ben Cherington also negotiated a blockbuster trade for Chicago White Sox starting pitcher Jake Peavy and crafty relief specialist Matt Thornton on the July 31 trade deadline, vital acquisitions for a team in need of pitching depth.

Koji Uehara has also earned 12 saves and a sparkling 1.27 ERA in his first month in the closer's role. Junichi Tazawa and Craig Breslow continue to support their starters.
How critical can a strong pitching staff be for a team's playoff chances?

Ask the 2012 Red Sox. Boston averaged a team ERA of 4.70, falling to 12th place out of 14 American League teams. Lester and Doubront both held ERAs that nearly approached 5.00 while John Lackey lingered on the disabled list for the entire year. Alfredo Aceves, the team's closer in 2012, struggled en route to a 5.36 ERA.

Yet, the formidable Boston lineup has emerged as the primary catalyst for the team's success. The Red Sox lead nearly every statistical offensive category, ranking first in runs, extra base hits and even walks. Players are waiting for their pitches and improving their on-base percentage. The Red Sox ranked 10th among the 14 teams in walks last season.
More importantly, though, the Red Sox have immensely improved in their plate discipline. The squad has recorded a .274 batting average this season, while ranking fourth in the league with 1,033 strikeouts.

As has been the case since 2003, when the slugger first arrived from Minnesota, designated hitter David Ortiz has led this offensive surge with a .318 batting average, 24 home runs, and 78 runs batted in. Five other Red Sox players-including first baseman Mike Napoli, shortstop Stephen Drew and third baseman Will Middlebrooks-have more than 10 home runs. Center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury has outpaced the rest of the league with 46 stolen bases while second baseman Dustin Pedroia has already recorded 70 RBIs.

This well-rounded offense has made quite the difference for the Red Sox this season. Now, with one month remaining in the regular season, Boston must keep a surging Rays squad at bay.

The Sox will have the opportunity to move ahead of the pack, though, in an AL-East filled September. Boston will square off against Baltimore for nine games, duel with the Yankees for seven games, and conclude with a critical three-game series against the Rays.

While Boston, barring a late-season collapse, looks to compete for its third World Series in 10 years this October, there is even more exciting news for the Fenway Park faithful.