When living with a body of students as artistically inclined as Brandeisians, who seem to always be turning out new works of art, one becomes used to the rapid change and development of the artistic community. When we're always expecting new art, it is easy to overlook the art that we pass by while walking on campus every day. Although Brandeis' campus isn't the most architecturally or aesthetically unified, the distinctive sculptures nestled between buildings and higher-traffic walking areas all help tell the institution's story.

One of the most recognizable and iconic artistic landmarks on campus is the Louis D. Brandeis statue, which honors the University's namesake and was dedicated in 1956 by the honorable Earl Warren, chief justice of the United States. Sculptor Robert Berks created the gallant figure of Brandeis mid-step, his cloak cascading in a wind, arms and legs ready to keep treading. Mounted on a small hill in between the Shapiro Campus Center and Sherman Function Hall, it is probably the most frequently admired statue on campus as it looks over a main walking path, almost as if it is watching over the school.

The statue of Brandeis is used to anchor the University's branding, appearing on its website and in mailing materials-therefore, it has been used on the websites of many school clubs to identify them as belonging to the institution. Students dress up the majestic statue on a regular basis for various holidays and campus events, adorning it with everything from colored tape to flyers to bandanas. In a way, it is our artistic mascot.

As one walks toward upper campus, the variety of permanent artwork moves from a broad representation of the University to works that represent historical benchmarks in the University's growth. Another popular sculpture that is, like the Louis D. Brandeis rendering, an almost interactive work, lies in front of the Goldfarb Library.

This sculpture portrays an adolescent reclining on a rock, and is situated so that the young person is looking over toward the library. As its nameplate reads, this playful piece serves to recognize the generous contributions and abiding commitment to the University of Leonard L. Farber, whose generosity helped establish the University's Farber library, which is named for him.

As one walks from the library toward Schwartz Hall, the Psychology building, one passes a tall, elegant, pillar-like sculpture. The medium-gray, softly curved figure has an ambiguity to it, and could resemble the general form of a woman's silhouette, or even of a flower stretching into bloom. This sculpture speaks to the way that art at Brandeis is flexible and, to each viewer, represents a different ideal in culture and time. The sculpture stands in honor of Lucille and Samuel Lemberg, for whom the Lemberg Children's Center is named. It was donated by the sculptor Maurice B. Hexter in 1970.

Heading back in the direction of lower campus, on a walking path to the Shapiro Campus Center, one will pass a sculpture in between the Shapiro Science Complex and the Bernstein Marcus Administration Building that is quite unique from the other art fixtures at Brandeis.

Secluded among a cluster of trees, looking out to South Street and the entrance of the University, sits a sculpture of two women cheerfully spinning around with two children within the form of a ring. Called "Family at Play," this sculpture echoes the voice of femininity and strength that is central to the progressive culture of Brandeisians. It was created out of bronze by Chaim Gross in 1963, and was a gift of Antje and Leonard L. Farber to the University.

While there is much dynamic art moving around the University throughout each school year, it is important to acknowledge the works that are constant throughout each student and faculty member's time at Brandeis.

Sometimes, a walk around campus can be just as refreshing as a visit to an exhibit.