The night began with a stroll down the red carpet-cameras flashing and celebs showing off the latest fashions-with a swarm of glamorous actors and actresses all vying for a coveted award. Sunday night's Golden Globes, hosted by comedians Amy Poehler and Tina Fey, proved to be a reiteration of award predictions, yet there were a few surprises in the course of the night.

Unsurprisingly, Daniel Day-Lewis won Best Actor in a Drama for his role in Lincoln; however, the "wow" factor comes from the man who introduced him-Bill Clinton. The former president appeared on stage to introduce the movie, further elevating Steven Spielberg's award-worthy status. Amy Poehler welcomed him with a hearty, "That's Hillary Clinton's husband!"

Despite being snubbed by the Academy for an Oscar nomination, Ben Affleck pulled through with a Best Director and Best Picture for his film Argo. Also a night of notable success, Les Mis?(c)rables won for Best Musical and Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway walked away with Best Actor and Best Supporting Actress, respectively.
Girls won Best Series, comedy, and Homeland won Best Series, drama. Adele, as expected, received Best Original Song for Skyfall, while Brave justly won for Best Animated Film.

But one of the most shocking moments of the night was Jodie Foster. While giving her seven-minute acceptance speech for the Cecil B. DeMille Lifetime Achievement Award, Foster pronounced this win as an impetus for change and new direction in her life, which many people falsely interpreted as her resignation from Hollywood. Foster also acknowledged her homosexuality after years of public speculation.

As we can see, the actual award winners of the night were mostly predicted, but the true test of this year's film industry waits until the Oscars on Feb. 24.