Earlier this month, the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority proposed a reduction in operating hours and an increase in fare prices to go into effect this July in order to close the growing deficit gap while still continuing to provide their services. We're pleased that Student Union President Herbie Rosen '12 raised this issue in an email to the student body that encouraged students to oppose the cuts. Given our dependence on these services as a university and the potential negative ramifications of these changes, we encourage the student body to get involved in the discussion. Further, we urge the University to begin looking at providing alternative methods of transportation if these proposals should pass.

The MBTA is considering two different scenarios, both of which would result in cutting the service hours of the Fitchburg commuter rail line after 10 p.m. on weekdays and completely eliminating service on weekends.

The agency is also planning on decreasing the frequency of the 553 bus from Brandeis/Roberts Station to downtown Boston, often used by students and university employees.

Further, the fare prices of the commuter rail and subway are both set to increase.

While Brandeis' proximity to Boston is often promoted in the University's brochures and booklets, these proposed cuts would certainly strain this connection.

By limiting the commuter rail's service hours on weekdays and eliminating them on weekends, traveling back to the University from South Station, Logan Airport, internships or jobs would become time-consuming and expensive.

The University should start planning how they are going to address the cuts given the impact they are going to have on campus.

While the Riverside shuttles failed to gain support last semester, the Union should rethink providing a shuttle to the Riverside T station as the commuter rail becomes less available. The administration may also want to increase the number of shuttles currently offered Thursday through Sunday, open the service to other days earlier in the week and start operating earlier in the morning on weekends.

Perhaps the University should consider charging students to operate the additional buses.

While not ideal, a small fee compensates for the inconvenience of the commuter rail hours.

Graduate students and University employees who rely on public transportation would also appreciate these shuttles taking the place of buses or the commuter rail.

While it seems these cuts are under serious consideration, the Boston Globe recently reported the cuts may not be enough to bridge the deficit gap and bring the agency out of their financial sinkhole. As these plans appear to be flexible and the MBTA is open to suggestions, Mr. Rosen has encouraged students to voice their concerns to the agency by signing up for Waltham's Town Hall Forum at the Government Center Auditorium on March 1 discuss the proposals. We echo the Union's sentiments and also encourage the administration to begin looking into employing additional shuttles if these cuts are made.