Provost Marty Krauss announced the formation of a search committee for the next director of Library and Technology Services in an April 13 campuswide e-mail.According to the Co-chair of the committee and Vice President for Planning and Institutional Research Dan Feldman, even though Krauss' e-mail specified the position as being the director of Library and Technology Services, the open position is for vice president and vice provost for Libraries and Information Technology, the same position Perry Hanson currently holds.

The formation of this committee follows Hanson's announcement of his retirement last fall, according to a Feb. 15 e-mail to the Justice.

In a Feb. 10 campuswide e-mail, University President Frederick Lawrence announced that the Library and Technology Services Advisory Committee submitted recommendations to himself, Krauss and Senior Vice President for Administration Mark Collins, in which they suggested that the next LTS leader should report to the provost and a national search should be conducted for the next LTS leader, both of which were suggestions accepted by the president.

In a Feb. 14 interview with the Justice, Hanson said that he would not be involved in the selection of his successor.

In addition to Feldman, the committee consists of Co-chair of the committee Prof. Ann Koloski-Ostrow (CLAS), Prof. Eric Chasalow (MUS), Director of Development Planning and Operations Michael Gilbreath, Associate Vice President of Communications Bill Burger, Prof. George Hall (ECON), University Registrar Mark Hewitt, Chair of the Faculty Senate Prof. Tim Hickey (COSI), Senior Research and Technology Specialist in the Division of Science Steve Karel, Senior Scientist and Lecturer of the Heller School and Deputy Director of the Institute for Behavioral Health Sharon Reif, Director for Networks and Systems of LTS John Turner, Vice Provost for Academic Affairs and the Rabb School Michaele Whelan, Associate Director for E-Research of LTS Lois Widmer, Assistant Vice President of the Office of Budget and Financial Planning David Woodward, Jodie Lynn Austin-Cypert (GRAD) and Sahar Massachi '11.

Krauss' e-mail also stated that the search firm Issacson, Miller would assist the search committee.

According to an e-mail from Feldman, Issacson, Miller "assisted Brandeis in the successful searches that brought to Brandeis Dean Lisa Lynch of The Heller School [for Social Policy and Management] and Fran Drolette, the University's Senior Vice President for Finance and Chief Financial Officer. He wrote that Krauss, Collins and the President's Chief of Staff David Bunis were responsible for selecting Issacson, Miller.

In an e-mail to the Justice, Feldman wrote that the committee will be identifying criteria as it proceeds with the search.

In an interview with the Justice, Feldman said that he and Koloski-Ostrow will be having their first meeting later this week with Vivian Brocard of Issacson, Miller.

"We're going to be developing the time line very shortly," Feldman said. "We're really at the starting point for this."

"We want to make sure we get somebody who we feel confident is going to be a superb leader of Library and Technology Services for Brandeis," he said.

While one undergraduate and one graduate student will serve on the committee, no students currently involved in campus jobs under the LTS umbrella, including Media Technology Services and the Getz Media Lab, will be included.

Concerning the makeup of the committee members, Feldman said, "We need to make sure that the members of the committee are bringing to the table the full range of needs and viewpoints that ought to be at the table. ... LTS affects just about everything we do at the University.