K-Nite is the Korean Student Association's largest event of the year, featuring music, cultural performances, games, raffles, fundraising, and free food. KSA President Dong Hyun Lee '12 and Vice President Sujin Han '12 spoke with justArts about getting the show together.JustArts: K-Nite is this Saturday. What's the one thing that you're most excited about and why?

Sujin Han: The quality of the performances is better than ever this year. The act participants have been working very hard to perfect their dances, singing, instrument playing, acting, etc. and I cannot emphasize enough how much effort is put into this Saturday's show. I am most excited about the audience's reaction and the precious rewarding moment when the curtains go up, which called me back to working for K-Nite this year again.

Dong Hyun Lee: I am most excited about the fact that Brandeis community will have a chance to eat Korean food after our culture show. While other East Asian food is well-known, such as Chinese and Japanese, I believe that Korean food is not. I am really excited about this fabulous opportunity to introduce Korean food as well as well-prepared acts within our upcoming show.

JA: What have you guys been doing the past few weeks in preparation for the show?

DL: In a broad sense, half of our executive board members focused on administrative aspects of planning the show and the other half focused on preparing each act. We actually started preparing this show from last semester. For the past few weeks, more than 50 participants of each act practiced every weekend and to tell you the truth, I cannot explain how hard we prepared until now. So I would like to tell everyone to come to our show and check out what we have been doing for the past few weeks!

SH: For KSA e-board members and participants of the acts, the K-Nite preparation has taken our entire past few weeks. Endless practices and rehearsals have filled our weekends, not to mention all the administrative work in order to carry out one of the best culture shows on campus. The past 2 weeks have been focused on publicizing the show, for which we posted flyers, a huge banner on the Rabb steps, made a teaser video on Facebook, sold K-Nite sweatshirts, etc.

JA: Can you speak a little about the performances you have lined up for K-Nite?

DL: I hope people come to the show without any previews. However, I assure [you] that it will be a great experience and enjoyable time for all.

SH: As much as I don't want to spoil the show, I'd like to say that this year's K-Nite has been focused on the theme "Korea 101" and has been choreographed in a way that people can be actively engaged with the performers on the stage. Although I firmly believe that every moment will be a highlight of the show, just to list a few: Korean traditional drumming, modern dances and a unique fashion show will arouse curiosity and amaze the audience.

JA: What kinds of activities should students be looking forward to?

SH: Students and anyone who is coming to the show should look forward to our grand raffles winners. We are also raising money for Japan's tsunami/earthquake relief with many other student clubs and organizations. Students should get excited for our free Korean dinner after the show, for it is simply the best and words cannot describe.

DL: Audiences should be looking forward to our great raffle prizes such as an iPod touch, Fuji instant camera and two gift cards. You all can be the winner! Plus, I assure that people would encounter things that could never be found on textbooks or encyclopedias. Our modern dances and traditional music team and more would be shown. Oh, and the great food as well!

JA: Finally, what does K-Nite mean for you?

DL: K-Nite is an opportunity to me. It is an opportunity to introduce Korea to our community since not many of us know much about Korea. Moreover, I also believe that it is a great opportunity for myself and our e-board members along with act participants to gain more experience. I am confident that our members would not only gain a lot from preparing and planning this show, but also from actually delivering the show.

SH: When those lights go off and the curtain goes up, K-Nite is more than just an event we organize. Countless rehearsals and meetings will flash before our eyes and we cannot thank enough everyone who has worked all along with us to carry out the show. It is the biggest chance we have as a student culture club to share our unique culture and tremendous talent. K-Nite is a way of conveying to the greater Boston area Korean community that Brandeis KSA members are not forgetting our heritage and background even in our busy college lives. K-Nite is a promise to our older and younger generations we will continue to embrace and celebrate our culture.