When I was abroad in Dublin, I took a trip to Amsterdam and had the craziest three days of my life. The main thing I will always remember about Amsterdam, though, was finding Café Belgique, a Belgian bar in the center of city. The café was a small, dark room with only two tables and a six-person, all-wooden bar that was lit by candlelight. The drink menu boasted about eight taps and a large bottle list with multiple trappist ales-beers created by reclusive Belgian monks that are considered by many to be among the best beers in the world. Of the countless cozy and gorgeous Irish pubs I went to on the Emerald Isle, none could compare to Café Belgique. I thought I would never see a bar like that again.Last week, however, I made my first trip to the Publick House, a beer bar in Brookline, Mass. I attended the pre-party for Belgian Beer Fest there, where several featured festival beers were on tap.

Upon entering the bar, I entered a large, dark room that smelled of oak and reminded me of wineries in the countryside. The walls were covered in posters and signs from both Belgian and American breweries. I took a seat at a wooden bar, lit by candles, and enjoyed tastes of some of the 30 taps the Publick House has to offer.

I first tried Alagash Bourbon Black. This was a bourbon barrel age stout that poured black with a small head. The beer smelled of a mix of chocolate and whiskey, which gave the beer a sweet flavor, but the bitter stout portion of the drink was lacking. Mouthfeel was medium with a lot of carbonation on the tongue. This beer was nearly 10 percent alcohol; usually, aging a beer in bourbon makes it very alcoholic, but it still went down extremely smooth. For a well-balanced drink that was smooth but lacked flavor, I give this beer an 8 out of 10.

Next, I enjoyed Alagash Lawrence, a Belgian sour ale. This beer poured yellow with a slight coppery tint. It smelled very wild and sour. Upon drinking, I got a pucker in my mouth with a sour citrus taste that offered nothing to balance the tartness. Mouthfeel was somewhere in the middle. Overall, this beer was okay, but it was nothing special. I give it 7 out of 10.

While drinking the Lawrence, I enjoyed a plate of moule frites-a Belgian specialty of mussels, fries and garlic bread. The mussels were cooked in a mix of fish broth, ale and garlic butter and were wonderfully spiced. The fries, on the other hand, were nothing special, but they still paired well with the broth and butter mix. For 16 dollars, I got a lot of mussels, and while the price was high, it definitely was worth it.

I also drank a houblon chouffe, a Belgian IPA. This beer poured yellow with a large foamy head. The smell was of bitter, piney hops, and the taste had a massive bitter kick that blended fantastically with the citrus malt background of the drink. Mouthfeel was creamy and thick. The hops gave this one a great flavor-quite delicious. I give this beer a 9 out of 10.

Finally, I finished with Wachusett Larry, a beer made specifically for the Publick House. While you can find this other places (it's in bottles at Gordon's Fine Wines and Liquors in Waltham), getting this on tap is the only way to do it justice. There are so many hops in this one that they actually die out in a short time producing a weakened bitterness lacking any herbal qualities. The hops are fresh, herbal and shine through in bitterness. It's all contained in a heavy carbonated, amber hued pint glass. This one is amazing for fans of bitter beer. No matter what is on tap at Publick House, this one will be available, and I highly recommend it. I give this beer a 9 out of 10.

In conclusion, the Publick House is an amazing and cozy bar. It boasts great food and even better beer. I highly recommend it to even the most modest of craft beer drinkers, as its selection of Belgian Beers cannot be beat.

The Publick House is located at 1648 Beacon St. in Brookline, Mass., steps from the Washington Square stop of the Green Line C Train.