While it is not often a word used to describe a group of men, beautiful is the only adjective that accurately depicts the butter-smooth voices of VoiceMale, Brandeis' award-winning all-male a cappella group. Audience members cheered wildly on Saturday, May 8 as the group members' eight dark profiles walked onto the blue-lit stage of the Carl J. Shapiro Theater for their spring semester show, TestFest. With finely pressed suits and decorations in blue and white-the group's signature colors-VoiceMale was ready to perform familiar favorites and new compilations while paying homage to the group's president and sole graduating senior, Douglas Friedman '10.VoiceMale delivered a powerful and exuberant showcase of talent, as expected from one of Brandeis' premiere on-campus a cappella groups. As usual, Nick Maletta '13 won listeners' hearts during his seductive solo for the VoiceMale original song "Please Don't Go." Similarly, audience members delighted in the group's rendition of Nick Lachey's "What's Left of Me" by Contemporary A Cappella Recording Awards Best Male Collegiate Solo nominee Adam Levine '11. New songs were also popular with Chase Hiller's '12 arrangement of Eric Hutchinson's original song "You've Got You" performed with bubbly enthusiasm by soloist Jared Greenberg '12, the group's musical director. Dotan and Aidan Horowitz '12 also got girls giggling in their energetic rendition of "Listen" by Beyoncé. One girl in particular, Michelle Barras '10, rejoiced in a serenade from Jason Sugarman '13, who performed his baritone solo "In the Still of the Night" as her reward for winning a silent auction at A Night for Haiti by bidding $23 for the performance.

In the past year, VoiceMale has been nominated for several CARA awards including Best Male Collegiate Album for this year's Suit Up, Best Male Collegiate Song for "Where's the Love" and Best Scholastic Original Song for "Time (Bring It On)." The latter track was also recently included on Sing Six: Sunny Side Up compilation album released by the Contemporary A Cappella Society. Furthermore, VoiceMale has started to record a brand-new CD and even sold a digital download of its first completed track, "Mother We Just Can't Get Enough," originally performed by the New Radicals. From watching the interactions of the group members, it is clear that the time spent on the road has been a bonding experience, from early morning coffee runs preceding performances to parental enthusiasm and constant support.

The comical "Gaga Mash-Up,"created by two of the group's newer members, Sugarman and Eric Freeman '12, featured choreography and echoed the sultry moves of the Lady herself. Along with Levine's soulful rendition of Ben E. King's "Stand by Me," the mashup was part of a "senior roast" that led the group into sentimental and melancholy farewells.

Friedman soloed in two of the night's classic hits, the Goo Goo Dolls' country-style "Big Machine" and his final performance of "Here Comes Goodbye" by Rascal Flatts. With each song, the audience gained insight into the familial relationships that have developed from the daily rehearsals, performances, recordings and logistical coordination that lie at the heart of VoiceMale's success: relationships which will make saying "goodbye" to the group's senior president a difficult task.