Dean of Arts and Sciences Adam Jaffe presented Prof. Peter Kalb (FA) with the Michael L. Walzer '56 Award for Teaching and Prof. David Rakowski (MUS) with the Lerman-Neubauer '69 Prize for Excellence in Teaching and Mentoring at last Thursday's faculty meeting.Prof. Bruce Foxman (CHEM) also won the Brandeis Prize for Excellence in Teaching. While Foxman's award was announced at the faculty meeting, it was not presented because he was unable to attend due to a previous professional commitment off campus, according to Jaffe. However, he will be presented with the award at the May 14 faculty meeting, Jaffe wrote in an e-mail to the Justice.

Jaffe explained in an e-mail to the Justice that he selects the recipients of the awards based on recommendations from nomination committees.

The Michael L. Walzer Award is given every year to a tenure-track faculty member who "combines superlative scholarship with inspired teaching," Jaffe said at the faculty meeting.

At the faculty meeting, Jaffe delivered a small speech to the professors being honored and read comments submitted by students who nominated them to be considered for teaching awards.

During his time at the University, Kalb has taught a variety of courses on Modern, Postwar and Contemporary Art and Culture, as well as the History of Photography.

"It's great," Kalb said. "I like teaching, and it's very flattering to hear that I've got students who like taking my classes."

One of the students whose testimony Jaffe anonymously read aloud at the faculty meeting said, "Professor Kalb cares about his students as people, acting as a mentor and a friend to any student who walks through his door. "

Amanda DiSanto '09, an art history major who nominated Kalb for a teaching award, said he "has a lot of passion for the subject. He's just a really brilliant professor."

The Jeanette Lerman-Neubauer '69 and Joseph Neubauer Prize for Excellence in Teaching and Mentoring Prize was created by Trustee Jeanette Lerman.

Rakowski currently teaches Graduate Composition, Graduate Analysis, Orchestration, Fundamentals of Music, Music Theory and Independent Studies.

"I try to get students to understand things the way a composer understands things," Rakowski said.

Andrew Litwin '11, who has been Rakowski's student for four semesters and is his advisee for the music major, said that Rakowski "manages to make class just a really enjoyable place to be."

Foxman could not be reached for comment about his award by press time.

Laura Aducci '09, who is one of Foxman's students said that he is " There's nothing more important to him than sitting with students and answering their questions to make sure they fully understand what he's teaching them."

-Shana D. Lebowitz, Hannah Kirsch and Jillian Wagner contributed reporting.