The Transitional Year Program will be applied to the Class of 2013 as a conditional admit program, meaning that TYP students will no longer have to reapply to enroll at the University if they demonstrate academic merit and will no longer be automatically provided with a full scholarship, according to the program's director.TYP Director Erika Smith wrote in an e-mail to the Justice that the University will no longer be obligated to provide TYP students with a full scholarship because "the new approach will enable TYP students to access federal, state, and private funds to meet all the costs of attendance." She wrote that TYP students will now be able to access financial aid from outside sources because they will be enrolled as degree-seeking students.

Smith did not elaborate on the specific academic criteria.

"Throughout the history of the TYP, students in the program have had to submit applications to Brandeis, as well as to other colleges and universities during their TYP year, as admission to Brandeis was not guaranteed upon program completion," wrote Smith.

According to Dean of Financial Services Peter Giumette, TYP students were and will continue to be admitted on a need-blind basis. Giumette said that in the past a TYP student's acceptance was not based on his ability to pay. If a TYP student is admitted to the University upon the completion of the program, he or she becomes eligible for University scholarships and government aid, and this principle will continue to apply under the new change, Giumette said.

A TYP faculty committee consisting of Vice President of Students and Enrollment Jean Eddy, Profs. Shilpa Davé (AMST), Tim Hickey (COSI), Marya Levenson (ED), Susan Parker (MATH) and Harleen Singh (GRALL) decided on the change earlier this year.

Eddy could not be reached for comment by press time.

TYP students will have to do well in the program in order to secure the opportunity to continue at the University, Smith wrote.

Smith confirmed that no other changes have been made to the TYP admissions or financial aid packages.

"I think that [the conditional admit program] is a good change," said Riko Bol (TYP). "It puts you on the spot so you have to perform; if you don't perform, then Brandeis is not for you."

However, J.V. Souffrant (TYP) expressed concern about the financial implications of the conditional admit program. "TYP was set up so that students don't have to pay. Changing the program and making students pay is going against what it was founded for.