Student Union President Jason Gray '10 delivered his State of the Union address last night, in which he focused on the idea of students working with one another and with administrators to create a unified community based on strong communication and partnership. Gray said that the Union, once "a place for ego and infighting," has now reinvented itself and created a culture where members are "passionate to work together to improve this University."

He said that the Student Union has strengthened its relations with administrators in the face of a $10 million University budget shortfall.

The Student Union is forming a Budget Advisory Committee, whose members will work with administrators to "ensure that any [budget] cuts that would impact students are as minimal . as possible," he said.

"[Club leaders] are frustrated about the lack of available funds [due to the budget cuts]," Gray said. He stressed that sacrifices in student club budgets will have to be made due to the economic crisis.

However, he revealed that the Union has "worked to make additional money available for clubs and organizations" through the conversion of the capital expenditure fund into a reserve fund.

Gray reminded the audience that other changes have been made to the Union's financial system. He said that last year the Union allocated to clubs Student Activities Fee funds that had rolled over each year from 2003 and 2007. He said students voted last year to spend over $100,000 in remaining rollover funds on a renovated weight room, whose equipment will be installed over winter break.

He later told the Justice that the rollover money could not have been used to facilitate club needs due to the agreement invoked by the previous Union government and the University.

Gray also spoke about the newly formed Committee on Endowment Ethics and Responsibility, which will make recommendations to the University administration and the Board of Trustees regarding the University's investment choices.

"It is important for the Brandeis student community to be involved in these decisions, as well," he said.

Ziv Quad Senator Andrew Brooks '09, who is in charge of interviewing applicants for the committee, said that the endowment needs to be transparent to ensure that money is being "invested in socially responsible organization[s]."

Gray drew attention to the various accomplishments of the Union, such as the upcoming bike rental program and the possible incorporation of the Student Bill of Rights into the University's Rights and Responsibilities document.

"Today we commit ourselves to an increased focus on the rights that students deserve," he said.

He said the newly formed Office of Student Rights and Advocacy will provide rights-related advisory services to students.

Additionally, the Student Union is working on improving dining issues, such as the structure of the student meal plans and a permanent transition to cage-free eggs in dining halls and is addressing student apprehensions regarding the Health Center.

Gray said that the Union expects to have an "action plan" from the Health Center administration by Thanksgiving concerning the ways in which facilities can be improved.

In keeping with the idea of creating a unified community of students and staff members, Gray encouraged more club collaboration and called for clubs to "work in partnership with each other whenever possible."

He emphasized that every club could also have a "community component" to it and challenged student clubs and organizations to get more involved in community service, particularly with organizations in the Waltham area.

"Our agenda is large. The possibilities are great. And our democracy-like all democracies, no matter the scale-work best when all of us are engaged," he concluded.

Senator-at-Large Justin Sulsky '09 agreed with Gray's message. "I think that the Student Union's greatest accomplishment is that we're all unified in order to achieve what the students want," he said after the speech.