The Union Judiciary announced Sunday evening that a student's case against Student Union Secretary Michael Goldman '08-which claims Goldman violated the Union Constitution when he leaked voting tallies during two voting periods-will be heard publicly by Friday. The senate issued a censure during the Sept. 23 meeting to Goldman, condemning his behavior and removing his ability to view the elections software as elections commissioner. Goldman admitted to disclosing voting tallies to at least one candidate in the spring 2006 election and to several friends of a candidate in last month's election.

Goldman didn't respond to multiple requests for comment Monday about his impending hearing.

Rivka Maizlish '10 said she filed the claim after Village Quad Senator Michael Kerns '09 explained the situation to her and encouraged her to do so. She added that she knew nothing about the controversy until Kerns told her about it.

"I just did this because I thought it was the right thing to do," Maizlish said. "I didn't really know what would come of it."

The claim states that Goldman violated the Constitution on two counts, including disclosing voting tallies and appointing Rajiv Ramakrishnan '10 to be a technology assistant without Senate approval. It also says the senate stepped outside its scope of power when it removed Goldman's ability to access the software, but the UJ rejected this claim. As technology assistant, Ramakrishnan would be able to access the software in Goldman's stead.

"This is one of the most epic trials in Brandeis history," UJ Chief Justice Jamie Ansorge '09 said.

An opposing claim was filed by Sam Dewey '06, a former UJ chief justice, Albert Cahn '07 and Jacob Baime '08, the UJ's counsel of record, which questioned the legitimacy of the case against Goldman. The UJ rejected their claim before deciding to proceed with the case.

"In a dramatic departure from past practice, the UJ has informed us that they will not read our brief before deciding whether or not to grant certiorari," Baime wrote in an e-mail to the Justice Sunday night.

Baime is also serving as Goldman's counsel.

Ansorge declined to elaborate on potential outcomes of the case, but said whatever decision the UJ reaches, Union President Shreeya Sinha '09 and the rest of the Executive office are bound to execute it. The UJ, which rules on disagreements within the Student Union and between students, cannot call for Goldman's impeachment. They can declare certain actions unconstitutional, however.

It only takes one justice to find a claim arguable within the UJ's jurisdiction for a case to proceed, Ansorge said.

Although Kerns stressed that this case isn't an effort to impeach Goldman, he said the senate "failed" when it didn't vote to impeach him. He said Goldman should either resign or be impeached. "That's the only logical, reasonable and right way to deal with the situation."

"There is no mention of impeachment as desired recommendation. . It's up to [the UJ] now to decide what they feel is appropriate," he said.

Goldman refused to resign at the Sept. 23 meeting, though senators urged him to do so. Thirteen out of 19 votes were needed, and only 12 senators favored taking a vote for impeachment, senators said.

If two-thirds of the senate votes to impeach Goldman, he would go to trial before the UJ, and if he were found responsible for violating the Constitution, he would be removed from office. The Constitution also states in Article 10, section one that if 15 percent of the student body signs a petition to impeach Goldman, a recall vote in the senate would be taken.