Brandeis bulked up its coaching lineup this year with the hiring of three new assistant coaches, including two recent college graduates and one former athlete who has now turned his focus to coaching.Kerry O'Malley joined the women's soccer team's staff, Alexis Accomando was added to the tennis team, and Scott VanKuilenburg joined the staff of the swimming and diving team. The Judges now have four new assistant coaches this year, as Scott Foulis was hired to be an assistant for the women's basketball team over the summer. Doug Delmage also joined the Athletics Department as a recreation coordinator.

O'Malley graduated from Saint Bonaventure University last spring and will replace former assistant coach Ryan Angel, who was at Brandeis for just one season and left for a publishing job, head coach Denise Dallamora said.

O'Malley was captain of the Bonnies' soccer team for two seasons and led the squad with five goals last year. She will also serve as an equipment coordinator at Brandeis.

"[O'Malley]'s just out of college, so she's developing her coaching style," Dallamora said.

Accomando graduated from Fairfield University last spring and will replace assistant coach Chris Hersel '06. She played No. 1 and No. 2 doubles as well as No. 3 and No. 4 singles for the Stags as the team's captain.

Accomando also worked as a tennis professional at the Vermont National Country Club and The Bridges Resort and Tennis Club, also in Vermont.

"[Accomando] is going to be awesome for us," head tennis coach Ben Lamanna said."She's got very good personal skills, and she's a nice player as well."

VanKuilenburg, 42, competed as a professional swimmer, counting five U.S. Masters championships and a swim across the English Channel among his career achievements. He will replace Judges' assistant Marshall Goldman '03, who accepted an assistant coaching job at the Pilot Aquatic Club in Knoxville, Tenn.

"Scott has followed a different pathand is older than the typical assistant coach I have worked with in the past," head coach James Zotz wrote in an e-mail to the Justice. "He brings a great deal of organization and enthusiasm to the team."

VanKuilenburg spent the last two seasons as a volunteer assistant coach for Division I Harvard University and as head coach for the Cambridge Masters Swimming Club. Harvard had a 19-1 record in dual meets and won the 2007 East Coast Athletic Conference team title during his time there.

Zotz said that VanKuilenburg's main duty with the Judges will be recruiting.

The women's soccer team is 1-0 after a 3-2 home win over the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Saturday. The women's tennis team opens its season this Saturday at Simmons College in Boston, while the men begin Sept. 14 at the Brown University Invitational in Providence, R.I. The swimming season will begin in December.