Springfest, the annual music festival held on the Great Lawn last Saturday, tested out aspects of a recently proposed Student Union alcohol policy, including not separating underage students from drinking students with a beer garden.Student Union officials drafted the proposal in February after complaining for over a year that the current policy makes alcohol too costly and difficult to serve at campus parties, hindering campus social life.

Of-age students who chose to drink at the event, which was sponsored by Student Events, were not separated from their underage peers at the festival, a change from the University's 2005 requirement for "beer gardens" at campus parties, according to Union and administration officials. Drinking students were given bracelets to wear.

Director of Public Safety Ed Callahan said he and Head of University Services Mark Collins are looking into a few minor alcohol-related incidents from the event.

Callahan said he did not know any further details.

One bartender served two kegs of beer, unlike two years ago when four kegs were served.

Melanie Felman, the Student Events assistant director of concerts, said the beer ran out earlier than she expected.

Because the entirety of the Great Lawn served as the enclosed beer area, no containers with any sort of drink were allowed onto the premises.

Administrators said they are still uncertain whether they will agree to the draft policy, which calls for allowing underage students into beer gardens; scaling back requirements for security personnel at events; allowing students to check IDs and serve alcohol; and shifting oversight responsibility from the administration to students at such events.

"It's a positive influence on the decision," Director of Student Activities Stephanie Grimes said.

Overall reactions from both student organizers and administrators were positive.

"Springfest was phenomenally awesome," said Brian Paternostro'07, director of communications. "There was co-mingling, and nothing happened.