Students hoping for a career networking boost after college may soon find one with the launch of a social networking site being developed by the Alumni Association.Though details of such a Web site remain unclear, a lead developer said services provided would likely include employment services, career mentoring, professional referral services, community service collaboration and an on-line classroom.

The developer, Mike Ramer '88, MA '89, said the site, which he expects to be complete by late 2007 or early 2008, would be maintained exclusively for alumni, though current students may have access.

"Right now, we're about one-third on the way of this project," Ramer said. "The University is committed to this plan and we have the funding. This is definitely going to happen."

Ramer said the proposed Web site, B-Connect, or Brandeis Connections, will help connect alumni to each other and to the University.

"It will create a more connected community of Brandeis alumni," he said.

Beth Wexelman '07, the Student Union's senior representative to the Alumni Association, said, "Ramer thought of this idea, because many alumni just move away after they graduate and don't have a connection with the school anymore."

Thirty-five thousand alumni received an online survey over the summer, Ramer said, to determine which services alumni would use most on a peer-to-peer interactive online service.

Wexelman said she hopes that undergraduates will also gain access to the site's resources.

"If students are allowed [access,] which I hope they will be, it will definitely enhance the relationship between students and alumni," Wexelman said.

Although, according to Ramer, there is no final decision yet on including current students, he said he is open to it. It would be great to have current students" use the service, he said.

B-Connect will be accessible through the regular alumni Web site, Ramer said.