CORRECTION APPENDED (see bottom):Students who take classes on a pass/fail basis may no longer be able to hide a grade below a C- on their transcripts, according to the Undergraduate Curriculum Commitee.

Currently, students can take up to four pass/fail courses as undergraduates, but must receive at least a D- in the course in order to receive course credit and not have the grade factored into their grade point average.

The UCC is considering raising the minimum passing grade for a pass/fail class to a C-, according to Ariel Strauss '07, a senior representative to the UCC, a committee of students, faculty and staff who review academic programs.

Students would still receive credit for grades in the D range, but would be unable to cover the grade.

Around 10 D's are covered up each semester for students in pass/fail classes-only 7 percent of all covered grades, Dean of Arts and Sciences Adam Jaffe told the Union Senate Sunday night. Around 100 D's overall, equivalent to 1 percent of all grades, are given out each semester.

"A C- or better is not excessive; it's a reasonable pressure to participate in a class," Jaffe said.

Although there is no "specific proposal on the table," Jaffe said the possible change would strengthen curricular standards.

The faculty will vote on the proposal at two faculty meetings after it is finalized. Elaine Wong, the associate dean of arts and sciences, said even if the faculty supports the proposal in both votes this semester, no changes would be made to the current system until next academic year.

Some students might take a pass/fail class less seriously by not attending class consistently, Strauss said. Professors expressed concern that this affects the quality of the class, she said.

"Because faculty members are overall reluctant to fail people, they feel a little abused," Jaffe said.

Jaffe said students should feel some pressure to succeed in the classroom, even if they're taking a pass/fail course.

"Ideologically speaking, students shouldn't be happy with D's," Strauss agreed.

Students are able to take courses pass/fail without professors knowing their pass/fail status. The Faculty Senate in 2004 rejected a proposal to remove anonymity from the pass/fail registration process.

Proponents of removing anonymity said in 2004 if they knew a student was taking a course pass/fail they may be influenced in their grading and may encourage a student to take the class for a grade.

Students can opt to uncover their pass/fail grade at the end of the semester.

Pass/fail classes count toward the total number of credits needed for graduation, but not toward major requirements or general University requirements.

Strauss said this makes Brandeis' pass/fail system much more liberal than other universities.

"The faculty might vote it down, but that does not have to mean we will stop thinking about appropriate standards in the Brandeis education," Jaffe said.

At the Union Senate meeting Sunday night, eight Union officers voted against the change, six voted in favor and three were undecided.

Correction: Because of an editing error, this article incorrectly stated that the Faculty Senate would vote on the proposal twice. It would actually be voted on at two consectuive facultywide meetings, as per University practice. Also, it was incorrectly reported that any changes would take effect next semester. They would actually take effect next academic year.