The Indigo Girls played a captivating show to an almost sold-out crowd at the Orpheum Theater last Tuesday as part of a full-band tour promoting their new album Despite Our Differences. The folksy duo, which is made up of Emily Sailers and Amy Ray, last toured in 2004 acoustically and without any additional musicians, making their current sets a return to the group's signature rock feel. The audience, composed mostly of the group's devoted long-time fans, was full of life. Everyone seemed to know when to cheer and sing along with as much lung power as possible, as well as when to sit quietly and appreciate the softer and more introspective songs, such as Ray's solo rendition of the emotionally charged "Dirt and Dead Ends," a melancholy and soulful tune about a friend's descent into drug use.

After 20 years of performing, the Girls know their fans well, and offered plenty of opportunities for them to ecstatically sing the choruses of their more popular songs. During "Least Complicated," Sailers and Ray stepped away from their microphones and let the crowd belt out the catchy "na na"s at the end of the song.

The set list balanced plenty of songs from their new album with a solid mix of classic songs that nicely represented the Indigo Girls' extensive discography. The band started out with three new songs, including the upbeat and punky "Little Perennials," which has been a staple lately on alternative radio stations.

The crowd enjoyed the new tunes, but its energy picked up visibly when the Girls played fan favorites like the lively and melodic "Get Out The Map," the sweetly romantic "Power of Two" and "Closer To Fine," one of the their best-known songs. They even added some songs that are rarely heard in concert, such as their venture into more traditional folk music, "Ozilline."

A high point of the night proved to be one of the group's best straight-up rock songs, "Shame on You." When the song's memorable opening chords rang out, the entire crowd, which had stayed seated for the most part until that point, got to its feet, dancing and cheering.

The show ended with a three-song encore, finishing with what is arguably the Indigo Girls' most popular song, "Galileo."

Opening for the Indigo Girls was Roman Candle, whose pop-infused rock was unexpected but exceptional. The band's engaging stage presence, which included choreographed jumps and much impromptu dancing, was as enjoyable as its dynamic, guitar-driven rock 'n' roll. A favorite song of the band's 45-minute set was "Why Modern Radio is A-OK," an ironic criticism of "high school emo bands" framed by a solid rock-anthem feel.