After starting the season with back-to-back overtime losses, the women's soccer team headed into Saturday's game at Springfield College eager to seize its first win. But after the game was cancelled mid-contest due to weather, the Judges will have to wait for that first victory. Following a 2-1 home defeat to Babson College Tuesday, the Judges are 0-2."We were ready to go after two losses; we wanted to get that first win in," captain Lisa Kaplin '07 said Saturday.

Play was stopped approximately 18 minutes into the game, and officials called off the match shortly afterwards.

"It's extremely frustrating; we were ready to win," captain Melissa Gordon '07 said.

In their limited play on Saturday, the Judges' showcased a new offensive formation, employing two or three forwards at a time to give Kaplin support on offense, instead of having Kaplin as the lone forward.

"It is important for the team to work together to push up and support [Kaplin]. It is hard for her to take on four defenders alone," captain Brittany Douglass '07 said.

The motivation for the lineup change stemmed from the Judges' offensive troubles last Tuesday against Babson. After Kaplin scored just 4 minutes into the game to give Brandeis an early lead, the Judges could not muster any scoring for the rest of the contest before losing in overtime. Brandeis was outshot by the Beavers 6-2 in the second half.

"We had trouble attacking as a team against Babson, playing with just one forward," Gordon said. "We weren't helping [Kaplin], and it was just her against their whole defense."

After Tuesday, Kaplin was still the only player to score this season. She agreed that a lineup shift was needed.

"We need to focus on scoring goals more rather than staying on defense," Kaplin said.

Kaplin continued her climb up the record books on Tuesday, as her goal was the 28th of her career, good for sixth all-time at Brandeis.

"We are all very proud of [Kaplin]; we get very excited when she scores goals," Gordon said.

Babson tied Tuesday's game in the 28th minute when junior midfielder Meg Lynch scored a goal through a scrum in front of the net. In overtime, Babson drew a foul deep in the Judges' zone and slipped behind the Brandeis defense for the winnner.

Judges' goalie Hilary Rosenzweig '10 showed great poise in net in what was her second overtime challenge in two starts at Brandeis.

"[Rosenzweig] is handling the pressure very well," Gordon said. "I don't think she looks nervous at all."

Players stressed the need for better conditioning after the losses.

"We need to be in better shape so we can play for more than 90 minutes," Douglass said. "We were not prepared."

The Judges host Simmons College Wednesday at 7 p.m.